Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Cool, I was wondering what that was as well.

I really want that Jeff Jones portfolio and some of those Marvel blacklight posters pictured (a local comic shop has a couple of those posters for sale, but they are asking a lot of $$$ for them).

Comment

• johnnystorm
      Hot Child in the City
      • Jul 3, 2008

The Vampirella door poster

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        But now I think it's the "popcorn" melted plastic art super hero hanging figures.
        I want the Robin from these.
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

I really want the Creature mask that I paid for and never got. I kinda remember sending cash, even though it specifically asked for checks or money orders. That may explain why I never got it.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

I have a 1979 Fantastic Four comic (from childhood) and it has an ad for Kryptonite Rocks. $2.50 each. On the order form it reads "Yes! I'm a friend of Superman. Please send me __ Kryptonite Rocks @ $2.50 each." That first sentence is pretty funny.

Here it is:

Here they are: (they don't look too bad)

The same issue of Fantastic Four has an ad in the front cover for Battlestar Galactica t-shirts. $4.99 each.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

However, something I really wanted and am still curious about is the Master Make-Up Kit. I have Batman issue 497 (again, from childhood) and the ad is in there. Though, I know I saw it tons of times in different comic books. It so happens that my grandmother filled the order form out for me. The Master Kit was $9 with $1 for shipping. It's all ready to go, we just never got around to mailing it out.

This:

- Ian

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Oh my God, that ad is amazing. I can't wait to show my kids and watch them react.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I remember just about all of these. Great stuff!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                    Oh my God, that ad is amazing. I can't wait to show my kids and watch them react.
                    I think I probably wanted the master make-up kit because I often wanted to wear face paint like Ace or Paul from KISS. I got close to getting it. I'm not sure why we didn't send off for the kit since the order form is completely filled out in that Fantastic Four comic and it's wasn't me who filled it out. My grandma would have normally followed through with something like that. We sent away for some DC superheroes figures (or something like that) once, from a comic book ad, but they never arrived. I recall waiting and waiting for those.

- Ian

Comment

• knight errant00
                      8 Inch Action Figure
                      • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                      I have a 1979 Fantastic Four comic (from childhood) and it has an ad for Kryptonite Rocks. $2.50 each. On the order form it reads "Yes! I'm a friend of Superman. Please send me __ Kryptonite Rocks @ $2.50 each." That first sentence is pretty funny.
                      - Ian
                      I have that box and a rock like that sitting on my desk in front of me right now.

Funny story tying into the first line of that ad: when my son was little, he apparently confided in my wife that he was bothered that I had kryptonite -- as if I was planning on using it against Superman. I sat him down explained to him that I was keeping it so it was safe and wouldn't fall into any villain's hands . . . and he was OK with that . . .

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by knight errant00
                        I have that box and a rock like that sitting on my desk in front of me right now.

Funny story tying into the first line of that ad: when my son was little, he apparently confided in my wife that he was bothered that I had kryptonite -- as if I was planning on using it against Superman. I sat him down explained to him that I was keeping it so it was safe and wouldn't fall into any villain's hands . . . and he was OK with that . . .
                        That's a great story!

From the photographs, it looks like it's pretty well made or, at least it's not cheap junk. What's your take?

- Ian

Comment

• acrovader
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 19, 2011

Good heavens! In this day of heightened political correctness, that make-up kit ad would never see the light of day. Lol.
                          I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• knight errant00
                            8 Inch Action Figure
                            • Nov 15, 2005

Oh, it's cheap junk, but holds up well -- the box is pretty standard coated stock folded into shape, while the kryptonite is some kind of quarry rock (I remember popping open the boxes at TRU looking for ones with interesting shapes before picking mine) that's coated in some kind of glow-in-the-dark green resin or really thick paint (probably the latter). I've had to have mine for close to 40 years now . . .

Comment

• MRP
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 19, 2016

There was an episode of Comic Book Men where someone brought in a whole case display of those Kryptonite rocks and tried to sell them to the Stash. It was from an early season, but I can't recall which one.

-M
                              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• greensavage2000
                                Veteran Member
                                • Aug 9, 2013

Originally posted by knight errant00

That's a great story and it's great he's looking out for Superman. What a great kid too. I can't help but think it would've been funny if after someone received it in the mail and then send them a letter saying Thanks for the kryptonite. By the way I lied about being a friend of Superman.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎