X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greensavage2000
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 9, 2013

Originally posted by MRP
    There was an episode of Comic Book Men where someone brought in a whole case display of those Kryptonite rocks and tried to sell them to the Stash. It was from an early season, but I can't recall which one.

-M
    I think they show more toy transactions than anything on that show. Which is cool with me. Every show I see that Mattel Legion set on their shelf and kick myself for not getting it when it came out.

Comment

• greensavage2000
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 9, 2013

Originally posted by Wee67
      For the longest time, I wanted to know what one of these even looked like. As an adult collector, I've periodically tried to hunt on down, but every time I see one, the seller wants hundreds (like this one starting at $399!) Some day...

So what is your on your "some day" list?

It's begging to be filled with water and not air.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by knight errant00
        Oh, it's cheap junk, but holds up well -- the box is pretty standard coated stock folded into shape, while the kryptonite is some kind of quarry rock (I remember popping open the boxes at TRU looking for ones with interesting shapes before picking mine) that's coated in some kind of glow-in-the-dark green resin or really thick paint (probably the latter). I've had to have mine for close to 40 years now . . .
        Well, it's a real rock, at least!

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by acrovader
          Good heavens! In this day of heightened political correctness, that make-up kit ad would never see the light of day. Lol.
          I thought the same thing. I recall thinking some of the options were odd, when reading it back then. I just wanted it to be a guy from KISS. I thought they were superheroes back then.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• FuzzyLOgic
            • Jan 20, 2012

I had these! They were rocks painted with some kind of green coloring. They had a really weird, almost soapy texture to them, and glowed in the dark (but not too well). Knowing 1970s product safety standards, they were probably more toxic than actual kryptonite would have been.

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
            I have a 1979 Fantastic Four comic (from childhood) and it has an ad for Kryptonite Rocks. $2.50 each. On the order form it reads "Yes! I'm a friend of Superman. Please send me __ Kryptonite Rocks @ $2.50 each." That first sentence is pretty funny.

Here it is:

Here they are: (they don't look too bad)

The same issue of Fantastic Four has an ad in the front cover for Battlestar Galactica t-shirts. $4.99 each.

- Ian

Comment

• comicmike
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 22, 2009

I am still always taken with the ads for the Marvel and DC oversized treasury comics. I do not have many, but I still can't resist buying one when I see it at the right price when I see them in the wild.

Comment

• tay666
                Career Member
                • Dec 27, 2008

The problem with those treasuries, is trying to store them.
                They are huge!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎