X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
    D&D seems like a perfect fit for a high-end series. You establish a party of interesting characters, and each season (or half a full season) could be any number of adapted modules or novels that have been popular over the years.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Yes. Exactly! That formula would work well.

I often thought a monster of the week would be a wonderful thing for an AD & D series. Then there would be many adventures and also recurring villains and returning monsters like the common ones - Orcs, Goblins and Lizardmen.

Dungeons & Dragons groups, I would find most interesting of any television series.

A nice acting ensemble with a party leader.

It would be great to see them, with each of their positive and negative attributes, go take on a problem or creatures, by using their unique individual skills, talents and knowledge.

I would love to see them all serve their character class functions and become a really solid team of companions and adventurers.

I could think of a large group, but would probably need to limit it to a 7 character Adventure Party.

7 seems to work okay for 'Starship' command crews in Star Trek, and makes enough time to have balance, and stories to (episode character) focus on each of the main cast of actors.

Then the D&D show could also have (assuming the show would be about good alignment characters, maybe chaotic good) supporting actors/characters like Inn owners and Lawful Good characters like minor nobles and their knight commanders.

Have a Sword Master recurring character who is only in the episodes that take place at the local keep or fortification, local blacksmiths, a stable master etc.

Then the main party could sometimes meet other adventure parties, and sometimes have to fight Evil adventure parties.

I thought of many different variations of this them, but for the seven, I think these would be good for Season One:

(4 male, 3 female, I guess, mix it up any way the seems good)

{varied levels, but mostly low level characters}

1) Fighter Class - Warrior. *for the party leader. Human.

2) Mage Class - Wizard. High Elf. Elder, that is experienced, wise and is looked up to by the group, unofficially 2nd in Command.

3) Fighter Class - Ranger. Sylvan Elf. Archery Expert.

4) Cleric Class - Priest. Hill Dwarf. Low Level, mostly can bind wounds and apply first aid early in the show, with some Magic light lay hands, light healing and some cures. And practicing minor anti-undead spells.

5) Rogue Class - Thief/Scout. Scout by trade, secretly a thief. Halfling.

6) Mage Class - Illusionist. (fun Spell images for TV) Gnome.

7) Druid. Human. (maybe a Combo, a Druid who once trained as a Monk. 2nd level Monk, 5th level Druid. -who's journey took them to the Path of Nature and Neutrality.
    Last edited by Klosterheim; Nov 6, '17, 6:54 PM.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Looks like Amazon has given a multi-season commitment to the LotR series. https://www.cbr.com/amazon-announces...FB-P&view=list

Here's the interesting bit in the press release...

Set in Middle Earth, the series will tell “new storylines,” serving as a prequel to The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal reportedly includes a potential for spinoff shows.
      so not readapting the story told in the movies but telling stories of the world leading up to the War of the Ring.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Timothy2251
        There are MANY worthy fantasy series that would be tailor-made for HBO besides going back to the JRR Tolkein well.

Mickael Moorcock's Elric series, or anything from his Eternal Champion saga, would work. Been waiting decades for that one. They can even do a proper mature audience Conan or Red Sonja series, maybe even give John Carter another whirl.

Heck Warners owns HBO and DC,someone long ago should have said "Hey! Let's do a Warlord series."

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by jwyblejr
          Heck Warners owns HBO and DC,someone long ago should have said "Hey! Let's do a Warlord series."
          Because Mike Grell created Warlord as a comic strip proposal (Savage Empires) and brought it to DC and not as a work-for-hire work, there are questions surrounding copyright renewals, and they could lose the copyrights/ownership if Grell challenged it (or have to pay a settlement to him a la the Siegel Shuster case a couple years back) if they did. If it lays fallow, there's no financial incentive to challenge the rights ownership, make it to a product that makes money in other media, and suddenly there is financial incentive to challenge those rights.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by MRP
            Looks like Amazon has given a multi-season commitment to the LotR series. https://www.cbr.com/amazon-announces...FB-P&view=list

Here's the interesting bit in the press release...

so not readapting the story told in the movies but telling stories of the world leading up to the War of the Ring.

-M
            This sounds awesome to me. I want to watch it!

I want to return to Middle Earth and enjoy these stories!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

well that makes me feel a lot better about the series. exploring other realms in Middle Earth and other time periods could be very, very cool

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎