• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

Lord of the Rings TV series

http://www.superherohype.com/news/40...ings-tv-series

anyone hear about this? I am a huge LOTR fan, but this is just a bad idea. Jackson's movies were masterpieces and it is way too soon so try and redo it again. A series would have the pressure not only of being true to the books, but also of being compared to the movie trilogy. Amazon should pick another series to adapt. three are plenty of great ones out there. Jordan's Wheel of Time series would be great if done ala Game of Thrones
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Well, I thought it was too soon for a Hellboy reboot, too. Silly me. Heck, Spider-Man's been rebooted twice since the Rami films.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
      valar morghulis
      • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
      From the article:

Though fans will likely scratch their heads at another adaptation of the property so soon after Peter Jackson’s beloved film trilogy, HBO’s Game of Thrones is set to conclude in the coming years and with it leave a giant hole in television programming that The Lord of the Rings could surely fill.
      Umm, no, while this series of Game of Thrones will be wrapping with Season 8, there will be more GoT to come with the prequel series, and possibly even more than one of them..

But I'd be thrilled with a LOTR series. I love me some fantasy!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        Well, I thought it was too soon for a Hellboy reboot, too. Silly me. Heck, Spider-Man's been rebooted twice since the Rami films.
        but movies like that are continuing adventures. LOTR is a defined story, with a beginning, middle and end.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          but movies like that are continuing adventures. LOTR is a defined story, with a beginning, middle and end.
          Umm, you should read Hellboy. It has an end.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

I love Lord of the Rings, but the appeal is all about the spectacle of the epic adventure... the characters are (by design) one-dimensional. That seems like an expensive and unsustainable formula for episodic TV.

Comment

• Timothy2251
              Jerks beef with Ten Bears
              • Mar 15, 2008

There are MANY worthy fantasy series that would be tailor-made for HBO besides going back to the JRR Tolkein well.

Mickael Moorcock's Elric series, or anything from his Eternal Champion saga, would work. Been waiting decades for that one. They can even do a proper mature audience Conan or Red Sonja series, maybe even give John Carter another whirl.
              "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Yeah, I'm dead-set against this. The Hobbit film series proved that padding out Tolkein is detrimental. I like the idea of Elric or something else new.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

Another article I read said that the Tolkien estate wants a $200-250M upfront rights payment even before any sort of development even takes place.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

if that is true I cannot see Amazon investing that kind of money before even going into production

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Timothy2251
                      There are MANY worthy fantasy series that would be tailor-made for HBO besides going back to the JRR Tolkein well.

Mickael Moorcock's Elric series, or anything from his Eternal Champion saga, would work. Been waiting decades for that one. They can even do a proper mature audience Conan or Red Sonja series, maybe even give John Carter another whirl.
                      Yeah, there are a lot of good stories out there!

I do think Elric will still become a television series.

The Elric novels would have been turned into movies if The Golden Compass movie would have made more money. People involved in that film were going to be involved in Elric movie stories as well.

I could still watch a new version of The Lord of the Rings, and still treasure the Peter Jackson ones.

If Dungeons & Dragons would make a TV Series, they should just use their old novels like the Dragonlance series (which I feel would have more fun dragons and a very nice variety of dragons than 'Game of Thrones'), instead of looking to make a generic game story with random monsters that don't fit the environment like in first their feature film.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

No more Hobbitses. Count me in on Moorcock.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                          If Dungeons & Dragons would make a TV Series, they should just use their old novels like the Dragonlance series (which I feel would have more fun dragons and a very nice variety of dragons than 'Game of Thrones'), instead of looking to make a generic game story with random monsters that don't fit the environment like in first their feature film.
                          D&D seems like a perfect fit for a high-end series. You establish a party of interesting characters, and each season (or half a full season) could be any number of adapted modules or novels that have been popular over the years.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Comment

• MRP
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2016

I'm interested, but I'd be more interested if they expanded to look at all of Middle Earth history, and do stories from the First and Second Age as well as the era of the War of the Rings.

-M
                            Last edited by MRP; Nov 6, '17, 11:29 PM.
                            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by MRP
                              I'm interested, but I'd be more interested if they expanded to loo at all of Middle Earth history, and do stories form the First and Second Age as well as the era of the War of the Rings.

-M
                              that would be interesting and at least new. I like the idea of them doing a different fantasy series altogether. I also like the idea of a fantasy series being more of a cable, adult oriented show, than something campy. If GOT has shown them anything, it's that serious drama in a show like this can work much better than campy fantasy like Legend of the Seeker. that show threw out all of the actual "meat" of the books in favor of family friendly camp. it clearly didn't work. Shannara chronicals MTVisized the books for millenials. although that is still on (different network this year) I doubt it will go another season. Amazon won't likely do a show like GOT, in terms of being adult only viewing, but maybe something in between

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎