X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

THOR: RAGNAROK "SPOILER" reviews...

And here's the thread for folks who want to post anything and everything about THOR: RAGNAROK. Feel free to spill all the beans you want! Hoping it's a great time at the movies!
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Well, if you are really going to follow the actual Norse Ragnarok mythology...everyone dies...including Thor...

sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
      Well, if you are really going to follow the actual Norse Ragnarok mythology...everyone dies...including Thor...

Something tells me they've probably taken some artistic liberties with it this time 'round, Hec.
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Moxen
        Museum Patron
        • Nov 6, 2016

Saw it last night. I'm not really familiar with Norse mythology, but Ragnarok was one of the funniest Marvel movies I've seen. The way they use Ragnarok as a comedic device to hilariously destroy Hella was pretty unexpected. Thor and Loki are great together, the Hulk fight in the arena was great and now my wife has that Led Zepplin song stuck in her head, would recommend. Make sure to stay for the two credit scenes.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

FINALLY... we get to see Kirby influences in the art design. This was a feast for the eyes, and the 3D is STRONG.... very strong. Can't wait for the blu ray.

So many characters, this could easily have collapsed upon itself, but they pulled it off. Cate Blanchett is the best Marvel Villain this side of, well, this side of Loki. She was really stunning. This definitely has a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe to it, although I wouldn't want them to do that all the time. Just go in expecting to laugh and be thrilled to epic science fiction and fantasy with lots of visual splendor.

If you enjoyed this film, and want to see more from its director Taika Waititi, I highly recommend What We Do In the Shadows. The guy knows how to please an audience.

Comment

• phil
            Persistent Member
            • May 11, 2007

I liked but thought it was too long. The increased humor worked and was well done. Cate Blanchett was great and I agree that it was good to see some Jack Kirby design influence in a Marvel film. I didn't think the-after-all-the-credits scene was worth waiting for. I also have Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song stuck in my head and more importantly it was put to good use in the movie.

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Hedji
              FINALLY... we get to see Kirby influences in the art design. This was a feast for the eyes, and the 3D is STRONG.... very strong. Can't wait for the blu ray.
              Well-said! The Kirby visual influence was so cool to see. Great cast playing some interesting characters. It had redemption....it had comeuppance. What's not to like?

I also thought the soundtrack was a nice change-up from what has been used before. I got a kick out of hearing "Golden Ticket/Pure Imagination" and some of the original score had an 80s Sci-Fi sound and at other times, it sounded like a Nintendo game's background music. I saw Mark Mothersbaugh from Devo did the soundtrack, so red, terraced energy dome hat off to him!

Cate Blanchett was so good in this and Tessa Thompson was as fierce as she is cute in real life. Bit of crush on her.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Great movie and a lot of fun. Even though I expected a lot of comedy, I was surprised how goofy it got at times. Not that I'm complaining, but in many ways it was more silly than Guardians in parts.

Anyone else get a Flash Gordon (1980) vibe off of it?

My one question: Where was Lady Sif? It was hard to see the Warriors Three cut down so easily (especially Fandral and Volstagg). That aspect reminded me of Transformers: The Movie!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Anyone else get a Flash Gordon (1980) vibe off of it?
                  Chris
                  Now that you mention it, I can see where it probably took some cues from "Flash Gordon".....a movie I love, by the way.

Comment

• bleit1701
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 1, 2009

While it was very entertaining and I did like it I think I still like my Thor a little less funny. Of all the Avengers he was the most serious but I realize this is the Marvel movieverse and not the comics so taking that into account -

the good:

Hulk talks, Hela, Heimdall, the Kirby influence (Like when the Hulk jumped into the face of Surtur. Great Kirby Hulk pose.)

Bad:

This movie gave us some of the best hammer action ever then took it away.

I didn't like they way the Warriors 3 were killed off. They deserved better.

Writing off Jane Foster. They could have just not mentioned her.

It was unclear how Loki managed to banish Odin and where the wormhole came from that took to Hulk to Sakaar.

IMDB says Clancy Brown was the voice of Surtur. Sam Neil and Luke Hemsworth were Odin and Thor in the Loki play. I did not recognize Sam. I thought maybe Thor was a Hemsworth.
                    Better late than never.....

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by bleit1701
                      Sam Neil and Luke Hemsworth were Odin and Thor in the Loki play. I did not recognize Sam. I thought maybe Thor was a Hemsworth.
                      And Matt Damon was Loki.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

There's a launch tube sequence when the Grandmaster's ship is launched that's a direct homage to the Buck Rogers in the 25th Century ship launch tubes... even down to the sound effects. Cool.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

According to IMDB, Kevin Feige said Sif wasn't in the movie because Jamie Alexanders' schedule didn't allow her to appear. He said Sif was on a mission off-world, so it sounds like she may reappear.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by Makernaut
                            And Matt Damon was Loki.
                            I wasn't sure if it was him or not. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't recognize Sam Neil at all as Odin.

Comment

• Makernaut
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by phil
                              I wasn't sure if it was him or not. Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't recognize Sam Neil at all as Odin.
                              I was totally oblivious to all of the cameos in that scene while I was watching the movie. I stumbled onto that when I was reading some of the write-ups about the movie.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎