• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 57: Amicus Films

It's our October double shot!

Episode 57 is all about the films by England's other horror studio (even though it was run by two Americans) Amicus!

We get into every film they make touching on their classic horror anthologies, Doctor Who movies and their amazing adventures with Doug McClure. We even discuss later films such as "The Monster Club"

Have a Happy Halloween and tell us your favourite Amicus production on our facebook wall.

Plenty more content on the PodStallions Facebook page!

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Oh very cool. I like to think I know Hammer pretty well. Amicus, I've just dipped my toe in. This should be a good starter guide.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Hey, I asked for this, and you did it! I'm sure I wasn't the only one, but thanks!

I too am a recent convert to Amicus. For years The House That Dripped Blood was the only Amicus I knew, and I thought it was a Hammer film I had somehow never heard of. I picked up the DVD at a flea market of all places.

TCM has been great about showing these as Jason points out, and in fact, I just watched From Beyond the Grave this weekend. I still haven't seen the two EC adaptations, or Torture Garden, or any of their non portmanteau horrors, so I've got a long way to go, but the journey is half the fun!

One quick note about Pertwee hamming it up by crossing his eyes: Peter Cushing does that too. Just watch him get choked in Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula and even Brides of Dracula, and you'll see him gasp, pop his tongue out, and cross his eyes as they roll back in his head. Now, since Cushing took his parts VERY seriously and fussed about such things as props, clothing, etc, I'm guessing he consulted a doctor at some point that told him anyone being choked out WOULD cross their eyes. But eitehr way, it's there.

Great episode, and thanks as always for the Halloween treat!
      sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
        Persistent Member
        • May 28, 2008

Excellent show again--I first knew of Amicus because of the Doctor Who films, but when I was little our cable added the Nostalgia Channel. They basically showed movies in the public domain or that they could get very cheaply, and so I saw several of the portmanteau films up there. I, too, thought The House that Dripped Blood was a Hammer film for several years, and I had assumed without looking it up that Monster Club was actually from Amicus.

Thanks for a nice Halloween treat.
        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Very enjoyable, thanks gents.

I've seen nearly every Amicus film, from the zenith of The Mind of Mr. Soames to the nadir of The Deadly Bees. Mostly great fun, I always thought of them as Hammer Light.

Can a Tigon podcast be far behind?
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Just saw The Psycopath today, not bad.

Bloch disowned The Deadly Bees, it was based upon a Holmes pastiche titled A Tate of Honey and intended for Cushing and Lee. They bowed out, and the screenplay was inverted. It's a pretty bad movie, including the effects.

(It was nice, too, to hear mention of Richard Johnson's '60s Bulldog Drummond. Fun Stuff.)
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 31, '17, 3:30 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

I'll be listening tomorrow at work. I really enjoyed the Hammer episode.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                Persistent Member
                • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                (It was nice, too, to hear mention of Richard Johnson's '60s Bulldog Drummond. Fun Stuff.)
                Agreed. I'm a fan of Drummond all around, but the Johnson films stand out as some of the best films made in the wake of the Bond craze. You could certainly do a show on the Bond-style spinoffs like these two films and the Mr. Moto film with Henry Silva that tried to convert those heroes to fit with Bond and spy films.

Just as you all took on Tarzan (and Bond really early in this series), I'd love to hear you all do some other characters, like Robin Hood, perhaps. I know the variety of merchandise on RH has considerable variety.
                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

When I find myself happy to get stuck behind traffic or caught by red lights, I know you got me hooked. Not a topic that I knew a lot about, but I really enjoyed the education.

Comment

• Bravestarr
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Mar 26, 2017

Greay show thank you

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

I had a lot of fun with this.

When I think of Amicus, it's the horror anthologies that come to mind.
                      It's very hazy for me, which Amicus anthologies I've seen, and which I haven't. But I'm pretty sure the only one I've not seen is From Beyond the Grave.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎