X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

The Abominable Dr. Phibes

Cindy and I take a look at Dr. Phibes, and a Batman comic that mirrors many of the film's elements in our last House of Franklin-Stein episode for 2017!

The podcast where a certified comic/sci-fi/fantasy geek actually gets his wife to co-host a show with him! Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria! Join Chris and Cindy Franklin on their bi-weekly journey through all things geeky. They'll discuss comics, movies, TV shows, books, toys...anything and everything geeks love to gab about.

Check out our image gallery, with a mind-blowing Phibes piece by...Jack Kirby?!?

The podcast where a certified comic/sci-fi/fantasy geek actually gets his wife to co-host a show with him! Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria! Join Chris and Cindy Franklin on their bi-weekly journey through all things geeky. They'll discuss comics, movies, TV shows, books, toys...anything and everything geeks love to gab about.

Chris
    sigpic
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Lovely! I'll be listening closely, this one is near and dear to me.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Well, you'll be happy to know we have a crossover episode with Film & Water: Turn It Off with Tracy. Rob and Tracy are also going to watch and discuss Phibes!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I'll check out Rob and Tracy's assessment, too.

This is my favorite film, I watch it a few times a year. (I think Cindy was a little uptight about it lol.) It's broad at times but not as inept as she suggests IMO. The sequel, sadly, has some very striking visuals but is not as cohesive.

Love the Kirby stuff, I found it online. Some critics see the film Se7en and a Phibes reworking. And, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are huge fans and want to do a sequel. But, I doubt either has the cache and longer to get such a vanity project off the ground.

I could discuss Phibes ad nauseam, including bits about the set design and construction, the mystery of Vulnavia, etc.

Thanks for another fun podcast, Chris.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Maybe I should have done the podcast with you.

Not sure why Cindy went all Logic Lass with this one. But it was the only film we've done that she hadn't previously seen, so maybe that's it.

I could definitely see taking a deeper dive and really exploring the film in even deeper, but there are only so many hours in the day.

Good call on Se7en! Thanks for listening!
          sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

I always thought Phibes would make a great Bat-Villain.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              I always thought Phibes would make a great Bat-Villain.
              Surprised that the DC bullpen didn't knock him off, most 70s Superman villains are swiped from popular movies (Vartox, Terraman etc).
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Well, they kind of did with the Savage Skull, which is why I paired his first comic appearance (only one of two) with the movie.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  ^Well, they kind of did with the Savage Skull, which is why I paired his first comic appearance (only one of two) with the movie.

Chris
                  Hmm, I recall the first but not the second. Geez, I love Don Newton's art. Gone too soon!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎