X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Denys Fisher Monster Factory

Sometimes I buy Monster toys and then totally forget about them in October, case in point this set. A wonderful "do it yourself" craft set from the UK that includes Frankenstein, the Wolfman and Dracula (the Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry of the monster world).

What's that you ask? Can we look inside Brain? Your wish is granted after the jump!

So Copycast is a series released by Denys Fisher, who by the way, is the man who invented Spirograph, I always like mentioning that. Monsters was one of a few themes that you could get in 1976.

Monsters, Planet of the Apes and Dinosaurs, there is no loser here! Seriously I'd pick all of these guys for my team.

Pretty sure the Copycast material isn't good now, so I won't try to make figures of these guys but the molds are a little cartoony. I'm not complaining.

I never bore of monster toys and honestly, i hope I never will.....For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

It's amazing that the influence of Curse of the Werewolf is still being felt in the 70s. Universal mixed in Oliver Reed's look with Chaney's on a lot of 60s merchandise, and the frilly shirt is still in effect here!

Looks like a fun set. Thanks for sharing!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

And the long shadow of Aurora influencing the rope belt on Frankenstein!

I wish someone would make a modern Dracula movie where he looked like this.

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Hey Brian, those are great! Did you ever think of using those molds like Playdoh molds and getting some white Model Magic, and then painting them after they dry?
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

That's one reason I love The Monster Squad so much. It's the last time we got classic versions of the monsters.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            That's one reason I love The Monster Squad so much. It's the last time we got classic versions of the monsters.

Chris

Absolutely.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hedji
              Ach, if only. When will suave ever be back in style?
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^With all of these old TV shows getting sequel series, and Stranger Things being huge, the time was never better for a Monster Squad reunion project. Maybe not a bigscreen film, but maybe Netflix or some other platform? Duncan Regher can still make for a great suave Dracula.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Chris
                  Absolutely. And Dracula is actually very scary in a threatening, PG way in that film.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Duncan Regher can still make for a great suave Dracula.

Chris
                    I love the film, it's Goonies meets A&C Meet Frankenstein for me. And I make no apology for liking Regher's performance (and as Zorro, too.)

Back to monster crafts, I like this, it reminds me of the Drac Mix-n-Mold kit I had as a child. I had the Mighty Men & Monster Maker and the Monster Maker, too.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Ah-ha! The Dracua Mix-n-Mold kit! Yes! I had that too. Thank you for mentioning that, because I was confusing myself, thinking I'd had this set.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I love the film, it's Goonies meets A&C Meet Frankenstein for me. And I make no apology for liking Regher's performance (and as Zorro, too.)
                        Regher attempted and succeeded at merging Lugosi's suave approach with Lee's animalistic monster. He's the last great Dracula in my opinion. I love Bram Stoker's Dracula overall, and Gary Oldman in other roles, but they went WAY to sympathetic with Drac in that one.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎