X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

The Innocents

Anyone ever see this? Saw it for the first time last night after DVRing off of TCM. My friend and part-time podcasting partner Rob Kelly covered it on his Film and Water show and piqued my interest.

This is a truly haunting film. I have never read the Turn of the Screw by Henry James on which it's based, so I had no idea what I was getting into. To me this is the movie The Haunting is often lauded to be. It's not over-the-top or gory at all but genuinely unsettling and disturbing AND it actually does show you some actual supernatural manifestations within the film.

There is also a seedy subplot and theme running through this film that is truly surprising. I find it hard to fathom it got made back in 1961 with some of the implications for what the young children in the story have experienced.

If you haven't seen this, you probably won't see a creepier film this Halloween.

Chris
    sigpic
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I agree, I think it's terrific. My favorite ghost/possession film, followed by The Uninvited.

Curse of the Demon is also on tonight on TCM, I love that one.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I have The Uninvited and Curse of the Demon on the DVR. I really need to get around to them. So little time!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

The Innocents is one of my favorite old time scares. I do like The Haunting though, too. TCM is so great during October. I've already watched a ton of Hammer and other great horror.
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

You guys have named all my classic favorites. The Haunting is my personal favorite.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I think The Haunting was overhyped for me. It's a beautifully made movie, but I didn't get the creepy feeling out of it that I think they were going for. And I understand not really showing anything, but it was a let down for me personally.

If I want a Robert Wise horror film, I'll always go with The Body Snatcher. I LOVE that film. Karloff's best role, I think, outside of the Monster.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎