Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THOR: RAGNAROK - A few thoughts before it opens...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

THOR: RAGNAROK - A few thoughts before it opens...

The more I see of this, the more I'm chomping at the bit to see it in theaters.

Sitting at 98% on Rotten Tomatoes with 54 reviews in. Yeah, that number is likely to go down as more naysayers see it who don't understand that you CAN mix humor, action and drama together if you have the proper combination of ingredients as well as the right chef at the pot and Taika Waititi seems to be the man to wear that chef's hat in this instance. Is it getting A LOT of reviews as a comedy? Yeah, but I get the sense that it's a cleverly constructed comedy which will allow some of the, admitted, absurdities, of Thor to be played out and, as long as they're done respectfully, I see no issue with that. Humor was rampant in the first GOTG and. even though I haven't seen the sequel, apparently even more rampant in GOTG 2 (perhaps to the detriment of the story, from what I'm hearing).

MARVEL's films have always approached their material with a certain tongue-in-cheek, wink-wink, nod-nod attitude that has, for the most part, made them successful. IM 3 had less of said humor and is therefore viewed as being a somewhat weak entry into the MCU. Same thing could be said for THOR: THE DARK WORLD which was almost devoid of humor altogether and made for a somewhat dour affair. Even AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON was lacking the quick-witted humor found in it's predecessor (really, were there any lines in A:AOU that came close to "Uh, Shakespeare in The Park? Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?). If THOR: RAGNAROK tickles my funnybone while entertaining me with some decent action and comic-book goodness, I'm there. Besides, I had a thought while I was driving home this evening that could make T:R even more fun. What if we see more bouts in the Arena between The Hulk and some of Thor's other rogues gallery; three that spring to mind would be Hercules (who has always thought he was a much badder arse than Thor); Ulik the Troll and I would probably soil my britches if they bring in The Mangog, especially if he were to start in on one of his "strength of a billion, billion beings" and then ::WHAM:: The Hulk clobbers hims and down he goes in mid-exposition. THAT would be CLASSIC!

Another point to bring up is the score to this movie. It is available to download NOW from Apple Music (and probably other sources, as well) and man, is it one Mother(sbaugh) of a score! Easily the BEST MCU score since the first IRON MAN and it even enfolds a bit of the score from the first THOR movie, which I loved because it was very lush and orchestral. Mothersbaugh manages to make THIS score grandiose, funky, a little psychedelic and a whole lotta fun with some really strong synth work (think 80's video game music mixed with STRANGER THINGS) and some great orchestral work. I have a feeling this score is going to be playing on my phone and in my car for a long time after I see the movies, taking it's place next to THE DARK KNIGHT, IRON MAN and WONDER WOMAN, all movies with really impeccable musical work.

Anyway, really looking forward to November 3rd and I have more that a little sympathy for THE JUSTICE LEAGUE which will open a couple of weeks later. Going to be an interesting bout at the box office....
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

I've also been looking forward to this movie. I have a ticket to a 3D showing later (opens today over here). Will post a few spoiler-free thoughts when I get back.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, it's good. Easily one of the most consistently entertaining and thrilling MCU movies so far.
      The comedic element is really ramped up in this one, pretty close to the level of GotG, in fact... But luckily the humour doesn't overpower the narrative.
      There are some stunning battle sequences (not just the epic gladiatorial match) in which we truly see Thor unleashed, kicking a** in a way we haven't seen before in any of the movies up to now.
      Lots of nods and references to the other MCU movies, plus cool appearances by a couple of other MCU characters.
      Cate Blanchett is awesome. She's really reveling in this villainous role. Amazing performance.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
        Cate Blanchett is awesome. She's really reveling in this villainous role. Amazing performance.
        She looks amazing in the trailers!

Overall I'm really looking forward to this movie!
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

BB, you lucky bastitch! I keep forgetting you're across the pond so you got to see it before us Yankees! Glad to hear to liked it!
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎