X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

The Walking Dead: Season 8

I had no idea the season premiere was tonight until I saw the show on the cover of the Sunday paper TV listings this morning.. talk about being out of the loop

Thought the premiere was decent, but basically it felt like more of the same from last season, which I was not a fan of. I mean, there's Negan just standing there, a total sitting duck to anyone with a scope, and no one takes a shot. Even the actor who plays Eugene called that crap out on Talkind Dead..
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Spoilers ahead!

I'm with you. I know it's just the season premiere and there's a long way to go but gee whiz, Rick and crew had Negan out in the open, they were behind cover and armed to the teeth. They shoot as accurately as storm troopers. When they do open fire, they are wasting valuable rounds into the building. So much for Rick saying "only one has to die" over and over as they took out five lookouts and fired indiscriminately into the building (women? Children?)...

On another note... Judith is growing right along but Maggie's pregnancy doesn't seem to be showing yet... Maybe I wasnt paying enough attention. And Daryll's motorcycle ride to lead the zombies to the compound always showed him riding along at a good speed as the rambling zombies seemed to always keep up. it felt like the zombie herd might not have traveled as far as the story needed unless the shots were not shown in real time, but the Daryl shots were showing what he had been doing earlier in the "day".

I like the show in places but I wish there was a direction they could go other than "meet even-more-heinous villain this time and overcome."
    Last edited by YoungOnce; Oct 22, '17, 11:00 PM. Reason: Spoiler alert

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

I'm very scared for the wrong reasons.

They're juxtaposing the current timeline with two possible flash forwards. One where Ricks succeds, one where he goes overboard and gets everybody killed.

That's Lost territory. Me scared.

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

Glad I read these before I bothered with the premiere. I think I'll just wait till the end and binge. Or possibly forget all about it and never get to it.
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Ok, overall the episode was good. You could tell Rick and company carefully planned this for months.

But three things really bothered me, a couple of things, you guys mentioned it already...

First, Come on, Negan is wide in the open, target practice mode. No one can aim and take him out with one shot to the forehead??? Please, lol.

Second, obviously none of the writers hired a military expert. These people randomly shoot at inanimate objects, wasting countless rounds of ammo for nothing...and when they do shoot at people...it’s helter skelter style, all out, no pause. Any military force will tell you that you shoot in quick short controlled bursts, it’s more effective, and you are not wasting bullets.

Third...flat tummy Maggie has been pregnant since season six, nuff said, lol...
          sigpic

Comment

• Mego Milk
            Custom Mego Maker
            • Jun 3, 2007

I'd be okay if this was the last season.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

The ladies of The Walking Dead were sure looking mighty fine in The Talking Dead, though! Between Lauren Cohan's legs and Christian Serratos' ample---uhm----assets, whew. Made all the commercials almost worthwhile! LOL!
              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Mego Milk
                I'd be okay if this was the last season.
                I think you're sorta, kinda gonna get your wish. It's the last for Reedus and Lincoln as they're only signed through s9. It's just not being publicized. You can see the writing on the wall in the premiere ep. Carl and Maggie being setup as the next leaders. Rick's vacillating reality.

For s10, we're going to get Prisoner Negan acting as Carl's mirrorverse Evil Rick. I'm presuming they're dragging Kim Dickens over from FTWD to give Carl and Madison a mom/son dynamic since she's as fleshed out as Rick.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Yeah, I agree that this has run it's course. The flash forward scenes seem to be setting up some kind of closure.

I've been somewhat bored with the whole thing for a couple of seasons now. For as much as I'm willing to accept, the stupid CGI tiger is just too ridiculous for me. The only thing it hasn't done yet is say "They're Great!!"
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Hahaha!, I actually thought the CGI throughout the season premiere was subpar even by WD standards… the explosions were terrible as was the flying and falling walkers.

Agreed, this would be a good time to wrap the show up. Negan as a prisoner in 2018? How lame! That would just be awful given the already overly-botched interactions with him across the past year.

As for Talking Dead after-event… what a egregious mess (even the cast were aping it up) starring Gimple and Nicotero. Only Kirkman seems to press tongue firmly in cheek at this point.
                    Last edited by Confessional; Oct 24, '17, 12:20 PM. Reason: … you're all dead anyway, so die!

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

I never watch the Talking Dead...I cant stand the host.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, I saw some bad CGI too, the aforementioned explosions, but also a helicopter shot of the horde of zombies, with their shadows all cast in different directions. Weird.

Either they're making it painfully obvious, or they're trying to fake us out... this is Andrew Lincoln's last season. How many times did he metaphorically state, "It's not about me". Plus the way they are grooming Carl and Maggie to lead after this crisis ends.

I don't know exactly what I want from this show anymore, but I'm not feeling satisfied. There just isn't any gratification, just more treading water. I too would be fine if they end it this year or next.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

What an idiotic end scene that was. The priest had the high-powered weapon...and Negan had his one-liners...yet it’s the priest who is shlattin’ his pants...

sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
                            Wake Up Heavy
                            • Jan 31, 2010

The way they've played out the Negan stuff is actually kind of insulting to the audience. There have been multiple opportunities to take him out, but to no avail. And yeah, I get the whole, "I am Negan," thing. But I highly doubt that if they killed Negan that any of his lackeys would take up his mantle.
                            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

I'm waiting for the Musical episode. When a show runs out of steam, they usually do an episode with songs and dancing...
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎