Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, and I'm not sure the membership is worth it at Barnes and Noble. Every time they send me 20% off coupons, they raise the prices on everything. I don't think it paid for itself.

House (Hasu), by the way, was absolutely indescribable. It took the crazy Japanese haunted house movie to a new level of fun insanity. Not everyone's cup of tea, but my jaw was dropping with the sheer range of extreme/silly/colorful/disturbing imagery. One of the strangest titles in my collection. I think I'll keep it.

Did you enjoy Reb Brown as Captain America in the 1970s? Well, then maybe you'll enjoy his audio commentary as the titular character in the brand new YOR, Hunter from the Future blu-ray. It's currently on Amazon for less than ten bucks! And tell me that cover art doesn't remind you a little of He-Man! I've actually never seen it, but the price tag is low enough to take a chance on a blind buy.

Comment

• SKotK
      Career Member
      • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Hedji
      Yes, and I'm not sure the membership is worth it at Barnes and Noble. Every time they send me 20% off coupons, they raise the prices on everything. I don't think it paid for itself.
      No, I don't think it probably is worth it most of the time. When I got it 2-3 years ago it was worth it for me at the time for the titles I was buying (lots of Classic Doctor Who, among others). But once I'd picked up most of what I needed, I ended my membership. Or so I thought. Lo and behold, I noticed another $35.00 charge from B&N for membership recently! So I decided since I had it I might as well use it with my Criterion purchases today. I picked up "Fantastic Planet" and "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me", as well as a non-Criterion Smithsonian "Building Star Trek" DVD.

I still may give B&N an earful for upping my membership again unbeknownst to me, and demand some kind of refund on it. I probably went all of last year buying things at B&N thinking I was not a member.

--SKot
      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Pre-Holiday Sale over at SCREEN ARCHIVES for their Twilight Time titles. Honestly, their stuff always strikes me as overpriced, but this brings it down a bit.

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
          Barnes and Noble has all of their (normally overpriced) Criterion titles on sale for 50% off right now. I'm not much of a Criterion fella myself, but they do have Time Bandits, Carnival of Sould, Ghost World, some David Cronenberg, and Brian DePalma titles.

I just picked up the Japanese film House (1977), which looks pretty trippy. It's a blind buy, so I'll report back whether I liked it. But it looks very interesting.

An amazing, crazy, super-fun film!

Kill Baby Kill is awesome too. It's got some super creepy scenes with that kid!
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

I have been meaning to watch YOR, Hunter from the Future. It might have been one of those movies that I've watched part of, not knowing what it was.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I like Yor, it's this weird Italian mélange of Flash Gordon and sword-and-sandal meets One Million Years BC. But somehow it gels and is a fun cheese-fest.

In retrospect, the MOTU comparison is apt.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Awesome, thanks for the head's up on Yor. I've been dying to watch that again and what a great price!
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Reposting from a dedicated thread. Criterion Collection Has Obtained Most of the Shōwa Era ‘Godzilla’ Films! According to the article, this is not a confirmation that a Blu Ray release is for sure happening, but where there's smoke, there's likely fire (breath).

Just a reminder, Barnes and Noble has bi annual 50 % off sales on Criterion titles, and Criterion sometimes has 50% off Flash Sales. This is a sizable list, so you might be wise to wait for a sale.

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Really excited about the Godzilla news. I love a couple of the 70s ones.

Comment

• Bravestarr
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Mar 26, 2017

Oh WoW YOR mill creek is releasing tons of cult films ar bargain prices awesome Jan 2018 though

Comment

• Spawn67
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 14, 2009

Finally Yor on DVD!
                        Fun story-I saw Yor in the theater when it came out in 1983. I begged my dad to take me to see it. I of course as a 9 year old thought it would be the next Star Wars or the next big thing. So my dad caved in and took me to see it. The second the movie was over my dad immediately says "that was a dumb movie!" I liked it but was kind of dumb founded by its wackiness at times.
                        To this day I still tease my dad about him taking me to see it..and when it comes out on blue ray I will make him watch it with me again..lol

Comment

• Bravestarr
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Mar 26, 2017

Blu ray even better nice story

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

no info yet but Jim Wynorski just mentioned he did the commentary for "The Return of Swamp Thing" Blu Ray coming out in early 2018.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

If you're region free you can get it on amazon.co.uk

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Upon reading further, on Amazon UK, a reviewer says there are no special features, so I'd wait for a North American release. Thanks for the heads up, Brian!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎