Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

The Code Red site is a joke. What a disaster!

Often Code Red front man Bill Olsen will announce tons of films, but it can take forever, if at all for them to materialize, and then his cartel store is on again off again.

He announced Frankenstein's Bloody Terror also, but it may be on hold as 3D elements for it may exist, which would be really cool.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

For those interested in some of the obscure Code Red titles, I was reminded by mazinz, a member here that Code Red has exclusive titles at various online sellers.

Code red will make bluray exclusives for certain online stores only. This way it helps all the indie online shops. Right now Screen archives, Ronin flix and Diabolikdvd all have had Code red blurays made exclusively for each service and available nowhere else
      So if you're frustrated with the Big Cartel shop, you might find what you're looking for at one of those other sellers.

Comment

• SKotK
        Career Member
        • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Hedji
        I do know that Kino Lorber is going to be releasing the Complete Outer Limits to Blu Ray, which should be pretty nifty. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21466
        This is some fantastic news! I have the Volume 1 DVD set, but never picked up the second and third and have been hoping to hold out for a blu-ray release so it can join the fantastic Twilight Zone blu-ray set on my shelf. Now I'm definitely glad I waited.

--SKot
        Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• JRT!
          Museum Super Collector
          • Sep 6, 2015

But Enemy Mine is easily available on Amazon though,both US and UK,or is that a different movie called Enemy Mine? Just curious.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Mine-Bl...y+mine+blu+ray

Is not the Twilight Time release to which SKot was referring. It is the Australian one from Umbrella Entertainment. Under product details, it says Region B and Region A, so I'd assume it's a safe buy for North American blu ray players, although I don't own it. (But probably should, I remember enjoying the film)

Comment

• JRT!
              Museum Super Collector
              • Sep 6, 2015

It says All Regions,so it should play anywhere?! Do US players come region free? The UK version is PAL.....GEE,is that still a thing....so might not play unless you have a region free player. Wait,br players are either NTSC or PAL? Isn't that dvd players? Must be some wrong info on Amazon,wouldn't be the first time,lol!

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by JRT!
                It says All Regions,so it should play anywhere?! Do US players come region free? The UK version is PAL.....GEE,is that still a thing....so might not play unless you have a region free player. Wait,br players are either NTSC or PAL? Isn't that dvd players? Must be some wrong info on Amazon,wouldn't be the first time,lol!
                The majority of US players are not region free, they are region A for Blu-ray and region 1 for DVDs. You're right, NTSC/PAL is an issue for DVDs but not Blu-rays (except for the menus or special features sometimes). Heh, the old VHS days were even worse, you had to deal with three formats, NTSC, PAL and SECAM. And multi-region VCRs that could play all three were hard to find and expensive!

Comment

• SKotK
                  Career Member
                  • Mar 11, 2014

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Mine-Bl...y+mine+blu+ray

Is not the Twilight Time release to which SKot was referring. It is the Australian one from Umbrella Entertainment. Under product details, it says Region B and Region A, so I'd assume it's a safe buy for North American blu ray players, although I don't own it. (But probably should, I remember enjoying the film)
                  Yep...here's the Twilight Time listing:

https://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Mine-Bl...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

And as you can see, used starts at $43.84 and new will run you $50-70. Now, it was a $30 disc even when it was in print, so it's not cheap, but still...not sure I want to pay 50 bucks for it.

--SKot

P.S. - interesting to note: Twilight Time blu-ray releases are easily distinguishable by their clear, rather than blue cases. There was a short time where they switched to blue and had blue cases for the first release of Rollerball as well as Enemy Mine, apparently...but I think they decided to go back to the clear cases afterwards. Everything currently coming out seems to be in a clear case, and the reissue of Rollerball I picked up has a clear case as well. I like this distinction, because these releases are a little more special than your run-of-the-mill mass-produced blu-ray movies, so it makes them stand out a bit from the rest.
                  Last edited by SKotK; Oct 30, '17, 1:39 PM.

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Dario Argento is an acquired taste (I love his style), but if you're into really spiffy collector's editions, Arrow video have announced Cat O' Nine Tails:

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/c...blu-ray-combo/

These Arrow editions are a bit pricey, but lavish, with a great booklet and hard case box.

Mario Bava's Kill Baby Kill just arrived for me yesterday.

I haven't had the chance to check it out, but I've heard it is all Region Compatible:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kill-Baby-B...by+kill+bluray

You can also get the American edition from Kino Lorber: https://www.kinolorber.com/film/killbabykill

I chose the arrow because of slightly better presentation and extras. It's a solid chiller for frosty November viewing.
                    Last edited by Hedji; Oct 31, '17, 7:38 AM.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

I'm sure this will delight many. Trilogy of Terror is coming to Blu Ray next year from Kino Lorber.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22339

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Vinegar Syndrome's black Friday sale is November 24 to 27th. 50% off nearly everything.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Vinegar Syndrome's black Friday sale is November 24 to 27th. 50% off nearly everything.
                          Yep, can't wait! Their option where they ship your order inside a genuine vintage grindhouse 35mm film canister is half price too, I might actually spring for one of these this time.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Yeah, I'm hoping to get Jack Frost and Demon Wind from them. I know. I have bad taste.

Count Dracula's Great Love is some good Paul Naschy and Sweet Sugar is fun if you are of the exploitation persuasion.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Barnes and Noble has all of their (normally overpriced) Criterion titles on sale for 50% off right now. I'm not much of a Criterion fella myself, but they do have Time Bandits, Carnival of Sould, Ghost World, some David Cronenberg, and Brian DePalma titles.

I just picked up the Japanese film House (1977), which looks pretty trippy. It's a blind buy, so I'll report back whether I liked it. But it looks very interesting.

Comment

• SKotK
                                Career Member
                                • Mar 11, 2014

Barnes and Noble has all of their (normally overpriced) Criterion titles on sale for 50% off right now. I'm not much of a Criterion fella myself, but they do have Time Bandits, Carnival of Sould, Ghost World, some David Cronenberg, and Brian DePalma titles.

I just picked up the Japanese film House (1977), which looks pretty trippy. It's a blind buy, so I'll report back whether I liked it. But it looks very interesting.
                                The 50% off B&N sale is the ONLY time it's good to buy Criterion discs there. I've picked up a number of them this way. You also get an additional 10% off your discounted purchase if you're a B&N member.

--SKot
                                Last edited by SKotK; Nov 7, '17, 7:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎