X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Retro Stereo Systems?

The ones I always see are retro 50s style. Are there any nice 70/80s style stereo systems that play albums and cassettes?
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

To clarify, you want a new system that looks retro - or an old system?

If you're lucky you live in an area where you can still find older used stuff fairly cheap.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

A new system that looks likes it's from the 80s.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I don't know about cassettes. I see them sometimes that play records and CD's

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

try Christmas Tree Shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

here is one

http://www.christmastreeshops.com/pr...0#.Wes7dMKWyM8

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

I actually prefer vintage systems. over the summer I got a beautiful Magnavox console system circa mid to late sixties, at an estate sale for $50.00. had to have the turntable repaired which was a little pricey as not many places work on them anymore. but all worth it to me. looks and sounds awesome. no tape deck in mine but I don't have any interest in cassettes. threw all mine in the garbage years ago. I got it for the turntable. I do see systems that are cassette players at sales and thrift shops all the time though. I guess it's a matter of whether the players still work or not. I still have my Pioneer rack system that I bought around 1990 but the cassette player doesn't work anymore, probably from lack of use. I think, like with VCR's, the components dry out if not used regularly

Comment

• TomStrong
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2011

I bought a pre amp for a vintage Technics turntable and new needle and man! My home theatre blasts out some vinyl tunes. I think I paid $20 on eBay for the pre amp. I let’s you play an old phono output on a stereo setup. Totally worth it. I’ve got one of those retro things and it just doesn’t sound good at all.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the day I had a Kmart special "Sound Design" one that had everything combined in one unit --- even an 8 Track Tape recorder ...

Played like a champ for years

If you can find one probably wouldn't cost too much used

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i picked up a sound design console with stereo, 8 track and turntable at an estate sale 3-4 years ago for $5.00, no lie. Had to do a little repair but then it sounded great. I put it aside for my oldest daughter when she graduates from college

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Why not just buy an 80's vintage stereo system? It will be better built and likely last you much longer than something newly made that looks vintage. Why spend your hard earned money on something that's overpriced and poorly made?

Just my two cents. I could be full of it as I'm no expert in this area.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                        Why not just buy an 80's vintage stereo system?
                        I don't use ebay and the antique/resale stores in my area think antiques equals glass ware. Yes, vintage would be ideal but not always an option for everyone.

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          I don't use ebay and the antique/resale stores in my area think antiques equals glass ware. Yes, vintage would be ideal but not always an option for everyone.
                          Have you tried vintage stores or pawn shops? That might be a good place to check out. Or you might even just want to ask people at yard/garage sales - some people might have great stuff they don't think anyone wants anymore.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

check your listings for estate sales. that is often the best place to find things like that

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

From my experience this stuff is kinda regional. In Toronto it seems hard to find anything good for cheap - too much demand. When I go to Florida each vintage store seems like a treasure trove.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎