Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dabambam
    • Oct 16, 2017

Mego POTA Peter Burke Variant Orangish Hair

I recently acquired a Peter Burke figure in a lot of items I purchased. The hair color is orangeish in color and the back of the head is stamped "1974 20th Century Fox Film Corp". The back of the head is normally stamped "1974 Mego Corp". It's on a T-2 body and came with most of the Burke POTA clothing on it except vest and shoes. I've have pictures along side a normal Peter Burke and Alan Verdon figures to show the hair color difference. Does anyone know the origin of this figure? Was the head sculpt used for another Mego line possibly or is this just a factory mistake. The hair is definitely factory done. The different head stamp is also strange for a Mego item. If the images don't show up as I was having trouble getting them to show up in my posting, I just uploaded to a Member gallery named "Burke Variant"

• Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

welcomes to the forum.

interesting, I have never seen one like that. looks like the same color as Zaius

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

I've seen a few of these floating around in recent years… yours appears to have very even/consistent coloration tho. It's hard to see in your pics… what color are the eyebrows? Any signs of two paint colors?

While Mego factory vinyl paint masks have proven remarkably durable over the years, environmental and chemical exposure fades and oxidation are documented/known.

The neck stamps come in different versions, likely as new molds were created over time and across factories. That's not uncommon alone.

Any info on the origin of the figure… what country or part of the world it emerged from? Could be a variant tied to a foreign release or factory run. I keep finding new discoveries; luv em!

… and Oh!, welcome too! Some of us like to talk about Apes 'round here.
      Last edited by Confessional; Oct 19, '17, 4:56 PM. Reason: … show-n-tell more!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

^ I have seen similar variants with Speedy, too. That always made me wonder if paint instability was a factor. But of course we know, too that there were multiple production runs on TT, because of the Wondergirl variants.

The alternate neck indicia surprises me, I didn't know Mego ever acknowledged Fox.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Dabambam
          • Oct 16, 2017

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I'm a huge POTA collector and also buy/trade/sell POTA items. This particular figure I have never run across after dealing in over a 1,000 Mego figures. The head stamp "1974 20th Century Fox Film Corp" I also have never seen and I assume would be part of the head sculpt. That would mean there was more than one Burke head sculpt used in production. The hair color as one person pointed out looks like the Zaius hair color. That is correct with the only difference being there is no gloss on the paint that the Zaius figure typically has in the paint. There is very little paint on the eyebrows, but that color seems to be the normal dark Burke hair color. I purchased it in the USA with a lot of Mego items. I'm really stumped by this one.

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

That's the same head indicia found on some of the CIPSA molds including Bill; hence my previous comment. My guess is that it's a foreign release, perhaps Palitoy/Bradgate. If someone has Burke MOC a UK card, perhaps they can take a look… I don't have one (yet!:P!)

Regardless of how it came to be, it's a cool variant.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Weird, all my US POTA humans are marked "1974 Mego", all my US apes mention APJAC/Fox instead. My Cipsas all say APJAC/Fox just like the US ones, except Gral Urko who has a unique stamping that says "1974 20th Century Fox Film Corp" just like your Burke. It's the only POTA figure I have with that exact marking. (I don't have a Bill to check though, just the Cipsa apes)

Comment

• Dabambam
                • Oct 16, 2017

That's interesting that your Urko has the same head stamp. That helps me narrow this down to likely a foreign release (possibly Cipsas) and my best guess for the odd hair color would be a factory mistake.

Comment

• Dabambam
                  • Oct 16, 2017

Originally posted by cjefferys
                  Weird, all my US POTA humans are marked "1974 Mego", all my US apes mention APJAC/Fox instead. My Cipsas all say APJAC/Fox just like the US ones, except Gral Urko who has a unique stamping that says "1974 20th Century Fox Film Corp" just like your Burke. It's the only POTA figure I have with that exact marking. (I don't have a Bill to check though, just the Cipsa apes)
                  That's interesting that your Urko has the same head stamp. That helps me narrow this down to likely a foreign release (possibly Cipsas) and my best guess for the odd hair color would be a factory mistake.

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

^^ No, not CIPSA… there's no Burke figure in the MexiApe line-up. We were just citing the same indicia appears on two CIPSA figures, proving it's not a mysterious anomaly. Could be Palitoy/Bradgate though as mentioned above.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Yep, absolutely no Cipsa Burke. The Cipsa Bill uses the "Verdon" head mold with lighter colored hair. I'd guess possibly a Palitoy/Bradgate version as well.

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

Revised take with further evidence… here's two auctions, one in the US and one in Canada, each with the 20th Century Fox stamps. Looks to be just a mold variant across some of the T2 releases.

Last edited by Confessional; Oct 24, '17, 7:37 PM. Reason: … seek and ye shall find!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎