X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by HardyGirl
    Or at the very least, release it officially on DVD. But I'm optimistic that something good will happen. The fact that creator/Captain Kirk Vic Mignogna and his wife Michele Specht who plays McKennah were invited to the premiere of ST Discovery to me speaks volumes. It shows that CBS is acknowledging Star Trek Continues as part of the Star Trek family, and maybe one day it will officially be canon, (even though Rod Roddenberry does consider it canon).
    Paramount could make good with the world on this. Release it on DVD and donate 100% of the proceeds to disaster relief in Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico.

Comment

• knight errant00
      8 Inch Action Figure
      • Nov 15, 2005

I've been saying for a long time Paramount needs to put Captain Vic and his crew on the payroll (I mean, seriously, how expensive could STC be, even adding money to pay the volunteers?) and get them on a 13-episode per season deal on Netflix. It really is like watching TOS's 4th season, and with a comparatively low budget (how much do you think they're spending on Discovery?) they would capture both fans and a better ROI with STC.
      Last edited by knight errant00; Oct 20, '17, 4:55 PM.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Taking "Continues" away from us and leaving us Discovery is like taking a Big Mac out of a starving man's hands and replacing it with a turd sandwich.

No thanks CBS, i'd rather starve

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
          Taking "Continues" away from us and leaving us Discovery is like taking a Big Mac out of a starving man's hands and replacing it with a turd sandwich.

No thanks CBS, i'd rather starve
          LOL...dammit Mikey. Best quote ever!

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Vic never intended to do this series past 13 eps anyway. All he really wanted to do is complete the 5 year mission, and leave the cast where the Motion Picture picked them up, (which is what the conclusion will do). 'Cos of all that stupid Axanar business, he wound up making 11 b/c they already raised the money before the guidelines came down. He promised CBS no more crowdfunding, so all they could do is finish up the series w/ 11 eps. But since they had an end goal in sight, CBS let them finish w/o following the guidelines. The last crowdfunding was for 3 eps, w/ a stretch goal of a planet set (which was used for Eps. 9 and 10). And just to give you an idea of cost, (according to Vic). In the 60s, Star Trek cost approx. $115.000 per ep to make. In today's terms, that's about $1 million. An ep of STC costs anywhere between $50.000 and $80.000 to make, and that's w/ flying the actors and crew to Jacksonville FL (most live in LA), feeding them, equipment rental, production materials, etc. But remember, the cast and crew shot all these eps, twice a year, for just over 5 years, w/o getting paid. This was done out of passion for the series, but they do have other jobs and lives to get back to now that shooting is over. All of them took vacation time to do this, (the woman who plays Lt. Palmer is a doctor, and got to play a role as a supporter of a Kickstarter, and just became part of the crew). It would be nice if CBS paid Vic to do this (his way, not w/ some corporate suit ruining everything), but he's an Anime voice actor, and does about 40 conventions a year. And right now, he's trying to figure out what to do w/ the sets, b/c he doesn't want to see them dismantled or destroyed. He cannot offer tours, b/c James Cawley of Star Trek New Voyages got a license from CBS to give tours once the guidelines came down.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• number 6
              Village Idiot
              • Jul 10, 2003

I’ve never been terribly interested in fan-made sequels to TOS and had never watched them. The clips/photos I’d been exposed to always looked kind of cheesy, and I didn’t feel I could ever get past the fact that it actors didn’t look exactly like the original cast.

But when I saw this posted I thought “eh, what the heck, i’ll give it a try”. So this episode is the 1st fan-made Trek show I’ve ever watched.

Wow! Are all the Star Trek:Continues this good?

Sometimes the actor’s lack of physical similarity took me out of it a bit, but I was really impressed with how much the actors who play Kirk and Spock have really nailed the mannerisms and speech patterns of the originals. There was times when Kirk would his back or get in the mid- or background and you could almost swear it was Shatner. As an aside, does the actor who plays Kirk remind you of James Fassbender? He does to me.

The irony is that the Abrams Trek has probably made me more open to accepting others in the roles. But while some of the Abrams actors may look more like their counterparts, I would much rather watch a show with these actors.

I also thought the story was extremely good, could have easily passed for an original episode. And I agree, the job they did on the planet set was excellent.

I’m definitely going to see if I can track down the other episodes. I would gladly buy these if they released them on blu-ray or DVD. (Hear that Paramount? More opportunities to milk the Star Trek cash cow)

Comment

• number 6
                Village Idiot
                • Jul 10, 2003

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                And right now, he's trying to figure out what to do w/ the sets, b/c he doesn't want to see them dismantled or destroyed. He cannot offer tours, b/c James Cawley of Star Trek New Voyages got a license from CBS to give tours once the guidelines came down.
                Has Vic - or anyone else closely associated with the production of this series - considered writing a “making of” book?

Right now I’m reading Return to Tomorrow about the making of ST:TMP. I would think that a book documenting to creation of this series would be extremely interesting.

I know that today everything is about “on-line” and I guess if I hunted around on the internet I could get a good chunk of the story. But i’m old-school and really enjoy having a hard copy book about this in hand.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by number 6
                  I’ve never been terribly interested in fan-made sequels to TOS and had never watched them. The clips/photos I’d been exposed to always looked kind of cheesy, and I didn’t feel I could ever get past the fact that it actors didn’t look exactly like the original cast.

But when I saw this posted I thought “eh, what the heck, i’ll give it a try”. So this episode is the 1st fan-made Trek show I’ve ever watched.

Wow! Are all the Star Trek:Continues this good?
                  Yes! They are all "that good"! Go to startrekcontinues.com or search Star Trek Continues on YouTube for more eps, bloopers, and other fun stuff.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

Has Vic - or anyone else closely associated with the production of this series - considered writing a “making of” book?

Right now I’m reading Return to Tomorrow about the making of ST:TMP. I would think that a book documenting to creation of this series would be extremely interesting.

I know that today everything is about “on-line” and I guess if I hunted around on the internet I could get a good chunk of the story. But i’m old-school and really enjoy having a hard copy book about this in hand.
                    That I cannot tell you. But there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff on YouTube now including bloopers, construction of the engineering set, and scoring of some of the episodes. There's also a set tour, and a number of panels Vic does at conventions explaining some behind the scenes stuff. And there's also their Facebook page.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

"Star Trek" and all related marks, logos and characters are solely owned by CBS Studios Inc. This fan production is not endorsed by, sponsored by, nor affiliated with CBS, Paramount Pictures, or any other "Star Trek" franchise, and is a non-commercial fan-made film series intended for recreational use. No commercial exhibition or distribution is permitted. No alleged independent rights will be asserted against CBS or Paramount Pictures.

Comment

• boss
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 18, 2003

Is that Grant Imahara as Sulu?
                        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by boss
                          Is that Grant Imahara as Sulu?
                          Yes, it is.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

I just started catching up on the whole STC series and it convinces me even more that THIS is what should be on the air instead of ST:D.

Loved seeing the return of Apollo in "Pilgrim of Eternity." Added bonus that they got Michael Forest to reprise the role and even having an explanation as to his advanced age. Loved the fact that they used Marina Sirtis as the computer voice.

"Lolani" was a good standalone episodes and Fiona Vroom really made green makeup look good (gave me ideas of how Marvel really could put She-Hulk on the big screen). it was great to see Lou Ferrigno as the Orion slave trader and "Buck Rogers" alumni Erin Gray as Commodore Gray.

"The Fairest of Them All" was a great (and logical) follow up to "Mirror Mirror" and should easily be a part of Star Trek canon. Again, kudos, for using another TNG alum, Michael Dorn, as the Empire computer voice. And Michelle Specht, despite her limited role in the episode, was the stuff of dreams!

Can't wait to catch up on the rest of the episodes...
                            Last edited by emeraldknight47; Oct 24, '17, 1:41 AM.
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                              • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                              And Michelle Specht, despite her limited role in the episode, was the stuff of dreams!
                              This comment made me laugh considering Michele's scene was a bed scene! LOL!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                                • Apr 3, 2007

Hi! I got to talk to Vic live on a radio podcast last night and asked him about writing a book. He thought it was a brilliant idea! I hope he'll write one!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎