Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got back from the movie experience of a lifetime!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Just got back from the movie experience of a lifetime!!

My wife and I just got back from a special screening of Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D and I am still positively giddy.

I sat grinning ear to ear for the entire movie...words alone cannot describe how incredible the experience was. There were only a dozen or so of us in the entire theatre,
    and we were the youngest people there.

This is how 3D is done right. I don't know if the black and white film is just easier on the eyes, or perhaps the less complicated visuals make the effect more pronounced, but it was
    simply amazing. From the opening title sequence, to the discovery of the fossilized hand, which appeared to reach fifty feet straight out of the screen! it was just amazing.

The underwater scenes were like you were there, submerged in a gigantic cube of water as all manner of fish and seaweed glided past you...it was an experience I will never forget.

I am so happy right now...I feel like a kid again.
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

Did you watch it at Chagrin Cinemas?
    Last edited by Goblin19; Oct 14, '17, 7:02 PM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

Jealous - would totally go to this if it ever came to my neck of the words.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

How cool! How'd you luck into a showing of that?

"Revenge of the Creature" was the first movie I ever saw in 3D, but it was on TV. It was quite a big event, though. We peddled our bikes down to the local convenience store (Love's) to get the 3D glasses. I found an archived article about the showing on our local TV and I would have been in Jr. High when I watched it. I think the next one I saw was something at EPCOT about a year later and then it was years before I saw another one.

http://newsok.com/article/1982945

Glad you got to catch such an iconic movie like that and doubly-glad it was such a fun experience for you.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Goblin19
          Did you watch it at Chagrin Cinemas?
          Yep! That's the place!

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Makernaut
            How cool! How'd you luck into a showing of that?

"Revenge of the Creature" was the first movie I ever saw in 3D, but it was on TV. It was quite a big event, though. We peddled our bikes down to the local convenience store (Love's) to get the 3D glasses. I found an archived article about the showing on our local TV and I would have been in Jr. High when I watched it. I think the next one I saw was something at EPCOT about a year later and then it was years before I saw another one.

http://newsok.com/article/1982945

Glad you got to catch such an iconic movie like that and doubly-glad it was such a fun experience for you.
            Thanks! I've seen the film dozens of times on DVD and now Blu-ray, but I've wanted to see it in the original 3D my entire life. It definitely did not disappoint!

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

That makes me so happy to read this.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I've seen it this way too, in a small theater here in Rochester, a few years back. It is incredible.

I am unabashedly a 3D nut, and I cringe every time I hear the word "gimmick" being used to describe it. It's an illusion. It's a movie tool. It's no more a gimmick than film itself, or cinematography, make-up, or musical score.

Many modern filmgoers who are underwhelmed by current 3D films might have their "eyes opened" if they saw presentations of older vintage 3D films, which used the format more effectively. There are exceptions like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and the Ghostbusters reboot that really take advantage of the depth, but most modern 3D is very mild. I honestly believe the reason is because the studios and directors don't want people to use the "G" word to describe the experience. It's really sad.

Even sadder, television manufacturers are trying to kill 3D for home video, despite a still very significant demand. Their weapon of choice is 4K. Currently, there are no TV manufacturers including 3D in their new models. So people like me who collect 3D Blu Ray (The only home video format to embrace 3D) will have nothing to play their films on, unless you go with a projector.

I have a projector setup in my basement theater. It's a modest, entry level one, so I'm not trying to brag. It cost me about the same as a TV would have. But 3D at home is BETTER than in the theater, by far. With a 10 foot screen and plenty of brightness, my home theater 3D experience is phenomenal. The Creature 3D blu ray is tremendous.

Dwayne, I'd love to have you over so you could see. You'd love it. I'm so glad you had such a great screening. And also glad to hear that there are small theaters willing to support such a screening. Long live 3D!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

It sounds wonderful, I'm glad you had a great time.

The modern 3D gives me a headache, but I'm curious to see something like Creature or House of Wax with the original effect.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    It sounds wonderful, I'm glad you had a great time.

The modern 3D gives me a headache, but I'm curious to see something like Creature or House of Wax with the original effect.
                    It's interesting to hear you say that Scott...before the feature there was a 3D trailer for Thor: Ragnarok, and watching it for a mere 2:30 was nearly nauseating. Too much going on at once, rapid-fire editing, your eyes are unable to really focus on anything. By contrast, the Creature looked phenomenal. Much simpler composition of shots, much slower pace and editing...your eyes are really able to take it all in.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Cool, wish I could see it in the theatre that way. I have to say that of all my 3D Blu-rays, Creature looks the best.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Saw it in 3D in Peoria as a kid, still have the glasses.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

If you like the Creature Blu Ray in 3D, I'd recommend It Came From Outer Space. It's vintage 3D, available for cheap, and from director Jack Arnold as well.

Comment

• comicmike
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 22, 2009

Toronto showing coming up: Oct 26

Join us for a night of ‘50s sci-fi and horror with a special presentation of THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON in 3D!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Seeing at our local theater this weekend, but unfortunately, not in 3D. Glad for you though!

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎