X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

More wildfire news - one more reason to be sad

I don't mean to minimize the loss of life. That being said, many of the survivors lost everything else, including Charles Schulz' widow.

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) — The home of "Peanuts" creator Charles Schulz burned to the ground in the deadly California wildfires but his widow escaped, her stepson said Thursday.

One of the commenters added this quote:

"But adversity is what makes you mature. The growing soul is watered best by tears of sadness."--Charlie Brown
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
    I don't mean to minimize the loss of life. That being said, many of the survivors lost everything else, including Charles Schulz' widow.
    Can someone explain how someone with that much (assumedly) money could "lose everything"... including possessions that (assumedly) were priceless unique items and worth perhaps hundreds of thousands if rescued by a rented U-HAUL?
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, I read about that happening and it really made me sad too.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

We have 24/7 burnt smoke smell here in the Bay Area...about an 1.5 hour away from the Napa/Sonoma fires...

Face masks are in short supply in some areas of northern California due to the smoke and haze across the region from the more than a dozen fires burning.

Almost 6000 homes destroyed, 30+ dead, horrible...

Wine prices will skyrocket after this...

We don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, etc...but we do get big earthquakes and big wildfires.

Pretty devastating what's happening here...
        sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

they had to know the fire was heading their way. you would think they would take precautions and get out of there with as much as they could save. the whole thing is very sad. I had heard on the news they think it started from downed power wires and exploding transformers

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

It's a terrible series of events. We've had 27 fires burning in Norcal this week alone. In some flare-up-embers were flying miles away on strong winds in the middle of the night. The skies have looked like the worst smog of LA, Bejing and Mexico City combined… just sick brown/orange fog that smells of fire and rot. When the winds shift and you see the blue sky again, it's enlightening.

As I understand it, in Santa Rosa whole neighborhoods were surprised in the confusion of darkness and smoke. People hid in water tanks, basements, wine cellars and swimming pools because they could get out fast enough. Some ran, rode bikes and got in cars… one area was littered with cars that wrecked into each other or went off the road in the chaos. It's easy to *think* you'd know how to prepare or react, but en masse events are not so predictable.

By all accounts I've heard, the first responders and community members are working together in incredible ways to save people, animals and structures.
            Last edited by Confessional; Oct 14, '17, 9:38 AM. Reason: … another red flag day!

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

It's all so sad, but I'm glad Jean Schulz survived. I know some folks whose homes have burned...just tragic. And for us here in Oakland, the air quality has been really bad. But it kinda annoys me that people complain about it. It's nothing compared to what those Santa Rosa homeowners are going through!
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by huedell
                Can someone explain how someone with that much (assumedly) money could "lose everything"... including possessions that (assumedly) were priceless unique items and worth perhaps hundreds of thousands if rescued by a rented U-HAUL?
                Fires do tend to move really fast and can change direction in an instant, that's why you see people running from it. Same thing happened in Gatlinburg.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Confessional
                  It's a terrible series of events. We've had 27 fires burning in Norcal this week alone. In some flare-up-embers were flying miles away on strong winds in the middle of the night. The skies have looked like the worst smog of LA, Bejing and Mexico City combined… just sick brown/orange fog that smells of fire and rot. When the winds shift and you see the blue sky again, it's enlightening.

As I understand it, in Santa Rosa whole neighborhoods were surprised in the confusion of darkness and smoke. People hid in water tanks, basements, wine cellars and swimming pools because they could get out fast enough. Some ran, rode bikes and got in cars… one area was littered with cars that wrecked into each other or went off the road in the chaos. It's easy to *think* you'd know how to prepare or react, but en masse events are not so predictable.

By all accounts I've heard, the first responders and community members are working together in incredible ways to save people, animals and structures.
                  That's satisfying to hear (in the wake of the tragedy).

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  Fires do tend to move really fast and can change direction in an instant, that's why you see people running from it. Same thing happened in Gatlinburg.
                  Upon more reflection that makes perfect sense... whatever the case, it just irks me that a thousand bucks worth of vehicle rental could've saved potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of PEANUTS history without even taking into consideration the house itself which obviously they couldn't U-Haul.

Regardless, its all a horrible tragedy.... but, there's that part where losing PEANUTS history makes it feel more personal.
                  Last edited by huedell; Oct 14, '17, 2:16 PM.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡