X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

George Pal on TCM

Tonight and tomorrow night, TCM is featuring documentaries about Pal and also his films.

I really enjoy his work, The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao is my favorite.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

His work (along with his studio team including Gene Warren and Wah Chang) in stop motion animation is brilliant and timeless. The Puppetoons are amazing even by today's standards.

Arnie recently sent me this:
    Just published TCM Movie News! I will be guest hosting with Ben Mankiewicz on Turner Classic Movies: TCM for 2 Day Spotlight George Pal Tribute. My films The Fantasy Film Worlds of George Pal airs Oct. 11 8PM (EST) 5PM (PST), The Puppetoon Movie follows 10PM (EST) 7PM (PST) repeated Oct 12 4:30AM (EST) 1:30AM (PST). 8 Pal features continue the tribute for two nights with Destination Moon (film) (1950), The Time Machine 1960, Atlantis, the Lost Continent (1960), The Power (film) (1968), Tom Thumb (1958), The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962), 7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964), Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (1975) - Mark Your Calendar

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

Just recorded Dr. Lau. Actually never seen it before. I watched some of the documentary in Pal. It was interesting.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I hadn't seen Puppetoons until I became a TCM junkie. I was surprised that things I loved like Rankin-bass and Tim Burton had a precursor. And Pals work is indeed amazing.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

duplicate post
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 11, '17, 9:14 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Goblin19
            Just recorded Dr. Lau. Actually never seen it before. I watched some of the documentary in Pal. It was interesting.
            There's a scene at the end of Lao that chokes me up Every Time. I've seen the film probably 20 times, and it hits me even so. I hope you like it.

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

I love Dr Lao. I remember watching it for thr 1st time on the CBS late night movie back in the 70s. The scene where the snake becomes the cowboy scared me as a kid, even though it's kind of silly.
              Tonight is Doc Savage...not a highlight by any means, but it's Doc Savage!

Comment

• Goblin19
                Talkative Member
                • May 2, 2002

Watched Dr, Lao last night. A very unique movie. Tony Randall was great. its a part that seemed destined to be played by Peter Sellers, but he couldn't have done a better job than Randall.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

As a kid Dr Lao used to scare me -- especially the part when the woman turns to stone

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎