X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Revell invades action figure market with Power Lords

While I had (briefly) "grown out" of action figures by 1983, I still liked to shove my face up against the bakery window so to speak. Revell's Power Lords were probably the most intriguing to me as they were so....uncommercial in their designs.

To be honest, their designs looked almost frightening and appealed to my 12 year old sensibilities. This article from 1982 (part of a larger piece I'll reveal at a later date) reveals the big plans Revell had for the Power Lords.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Love the Power Lords! I still have my Sydot the Supreme

Comment

• Bravestarr
      Museum Super Collector
      • Mar 26, 2017

I was thinking of these toys the other day but could not remember their names had the figure on the picture

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

They ran a helluva lotta ads in DC Comics back then, that's for sure. I couldn't understand how they worked for the longest time, until I saw one in store. I never knew anyone who bought them, though.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

They were awesome. I have memories of them being fragile and having to return the orange guy to the store.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I still have the 1984 Revell dealer catalog you can tell they really thought Power Lords was going to be the next MOTU. The problem with the that was most kids found them really ugly. Kids also liked to be able to easily identify the heroes from the villains. The heroes being just as grotesque as the villains probably doomed the line.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
              The heroes being just as grotesque as the villains probably doomed the line.
              Yeah, I found that whole thing really interesting about the series as a kid, the heroes were creepier than the bad guys.

It probably didn't help.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                the heroes were creepier than the bad guys.
                They really were. Having Adam Power and Shaya still recognizably human looking while also hideously deformed and mutated made them far more repulsive than the straight up alien looking characters.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Weren't there two waves of these, with the second being scarce/$$$?
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    Weren't there two waves of these, with the second being scarce/$$$?
                    Yes! Some unbelievable creatures. I think the Four Horsemen are taking another shot at them, soon. The original designer had some really alien ideas.

Comment

• acrovader
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
                      Yes! Some unbelievable creatures. I think the Four Horsemen are taking another shot at them, soon. The original designer had some really alien ideas.

https://waynebarlowe.wordpress.com/
                      I think it was recently announced that Four Horsemen were no longer going to do the 2nd wave of figures because it was deemed too expensive and they didn't raise enough money.

As for the original series, I had many of them, and some broke. In fact most of the Power Lords figures I had broke.

However I can understand the poor sales for the toys since they were strangely surreal.
                      I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2013

I think that I missed the Power Lords, I did not know about them.

I'm happy that I can find out about things on here.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by acrovader
                          I think it was recently announced that Four Horsemen were no longer going to do the 2nd wave of figures because it was deemed too expensive and they didn't raise enough money.
                          Yeah, I see they had the pre-orders for four figures in July and they didnt get enough to go forward. That is a shame.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎