Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by warlock664
    +1
    Also, anything Tarantino.
    --------- wha ???????????

Don't think I've ever met anyone that doesn't at least like a few Tarantino movies

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

I think that I find most cult movies decent, but not great. There's a reason they are relegated to colt status. I can usually see why people might like them, but there's usually not enough of that for me. I find this especially true for cult horror movies.

Picking one, I would go with Big Lebowski, which I like, but I consider it on the lower end of Coen brothers movies. It has a rabid fan base and I guess I just don't get it. But there are lots of others like that for me.

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

My thoughts on films mentioned in this thread in a "Hot" or "Not" context with "additional notes... I even re-edited to add thoughts on some posts after mine":

HOT:
        Blade Runner (both)
        All Tarantino (minus Jackie Brown, the Kill Bills and Death Proof)
        Godzilla… but only modern not the “real” Godzilla movies
        The Dark Knight (The movie-Unexpectedly great/Comicbook? Waste of time)
        Chucky movies… kinda hit and miss… haven’t seen the latest, but enjoyed the preceding recent one
        Monster Squad… need to revisit that one…enjoyed it when I was a kid
        Terminators (Love T3 hate the ones that followed…so sue me)
        Walking Dead (Not so much “Hot” as not “Not”)
        Breaking Bad
        The Princess Bride (Gordo Crisp… nod to your edit… I believe what sets this movie part is its “meta” or self-aware satirical quality)
        Fargo
        Fight Club (Very respectable… but not a multiple watcher for me)

NOT:
        Rocky Horror Picture Show, Goonies, Phantasm, Big Trouble in Little China, Buckaroo Banzai
        Fifth Element (always a chance I could sit thru it and actually like it…same goes for 12 Monkeys),
        Not big on the “slasher” genre: Nightmare on Elm Streets, Friday the 13ths, Texas Chainsaw Massacres, Hellraisers, Halloweens
        Re-animator, Doctor Who, Big Bang Theory, Apocalypse Now,
        Clockwork Orange, The Matrix, The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit movies,
        Repo Man, The Man Who Fell To Earth
        Brazil (But I ADORE Time Bandits!)
        The Sound of Music, Urban Cowboy, Eating Raoul
        Eraserhead
        (or anything by the Twin Peaks guy)
        Barton Fink & The Big Lebowski (but love Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou, Fargo)
        Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Pink Flamingos, Frankenhooker,
        Mulholland Drive

X-Files
        Buffy The Vampire Slayer

All the stuff J.B. listed as good cult??? With respect to J.B.---“ahhhh!!!!!”
        And, additionally, J.B., your review of Princess Bride almost seems like you didn’t pick up on the satirical quality… and, although I’m likely inaccurate with that guess, I still am thinking that such a scathing review seems inappropriate for some reason (as its such a harmless simple well-intentioned movie).

Donnie Darko, Darkman, Sin City agggh….so many movies I hate hearing about again & again that have zero appeal to me no matter how many people say I should like them!

Shock Treatment? The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T? Phantom of the Paradise? Scott Pilgrim VS the World? Beautiful Girls? Fantastic Planet? Never heard of ‘em.

Mike hit the nail on the head with “Saturday Night Fever --- love the music, story is boring as hell” I suppose Saturday Night Fever is my “Blade Runner” in some respects as it’s a great "immersion"… the sights, the sounds etc. (Problem is, unlike Blade Runner, I think Fever offers nothing story-wise)

Valley Girl? Have to re-watch.

I’ll still give Showgirls a chance, as I love the director!

Return to Oz? I should love (I’m a huge Oz Universe fan) but never got into RTO.

The only Eastwood film I like isn’t really an “Eastwood” film persay: In The Line Of Fire

Monty Pythons… all hit and miss… but not enough to even care that much, yet I passionately ADORE Time Bandits AND Fish Called Wanda (weird, eh?)
        Last edited by huedell; Oct 10, '17, 8:09 AM.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

If we are including TV shows too, I never liked the X-Files.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

The X-Files was hit and miss for me. Same with Buffy... I could take it or leave it.
            I never liked Twin Peaks. Most of my friends love it. Never clicked with me.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I understood the appeal of X Files but it was never my bag. I'd tune in occasionally though.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

I love Big Trouble in Little China. It's secondary to Escape From New York, but I like Kurt Russell in just about anything. Elvis, Used Cars, The Best of Times, Death Proof ... Even Escape From L.A., which I can admit is a bad movie, but i like it anyway.

And I guess I'm in the minority that Jackie Brown is my favorite Tarantino film.

Here's a big one: Flash Gordon! I hate the dumb Queen song. It's boring and everytime I try it, I get about halfway thru and have to shut it off out of embarrassment. Again, maybe if I had seen it when I was 10, I would feel different.

I try Time Bandits now and again, but I just can't click with it. It's so disjointed ... maybe I should give it another go.

Scarface is so ridiculous, I just don't get it.

Rollerball, Monster Squad, Kelly's Heroes, and Slap Shot are all movies that I almost like. I like a lot of parts of those movies, but the whole thing doesn't work for me.

I'm also realizing I could make a list of cult films that I'm the ONLY one that likes them.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

^--- loved Used Cars

Never liked Scarface ---- Paccino's fake Cuban accent was hilarious and was he hot for his own sister ? ... weird

^--- Flash Gordon 1980 ---- BEST MOVIE EVER no BS

Don't like most 1950's - 1960's B horror and space movies ---- I like this genre for movie content but not to sit there and laugh at bad ones.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey
                    --- Flash Gordon 1980 ---- BEST MOVIE EVER no BS.
                    What do you like about it? What am I missing? I'm actually curious because I want to like it, but I can't get past rolling my eyes at the song.
                    Also, how old were you when you first saw it?

If this reads like I'm being snarky, I'm not. I actually want to know!
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

I like Flash Gordon's set design, costume design, garish colors, fast moving script, laser sounds (seriously), sense of humor, willingness to exist purely for fun, and yes, the music... but not just Queen's... the orchestral score by Howard Blake is quite good at recapturing the swashbuckling tonality of old Sinbad movies or serials of old. It flirts with sexuality in a PG film, and makes no apologies for how over the top it is. Could have been a boring Star Wars ripoff like many others, but stands above as something a lot of love went into making.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                        What do you like about it? What am I missing? I'm actually curious because I want to like it, but I can't get past rolling my eyes at the song.
                        Also, how old were you when you first saw it?

If this reads like I'm being snarky, I'm not. I actually want to know!
                        I was ten so that definitely is a major factor. It blew me away with it's colour and sound. At ten you don't see all the camp and in-jokes, so you get to grow with the movie in that way.

As for Queen, I'm not a big fan but this soundtrack is the first "non power" record i purchased.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

What do you like about it?
                          Most because it was a fun movie --- For the most part the actors seemed to be having a good time and that rubs off on the audience

[/What am I missing?
                          Besides the above I personally like the music combined with the special effects --- The effects were great because it had a 1930's vibe but had current (at the time) effects technology

I'm actually curious because I want to like it, but I can't get past rolling my eyes at the song.
                          I really like Flesh Gordon for the many reasons above ---- I consider Flash taking all the cool ideas of Flesh and making it a G rating for everybody to enjoy

Also, how old were you when you first saw it?.
                          Seen it new in the theatre --- was 15 or 16

Comment

• Goblin19
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 2, 2002

Scarface is a good one. I find the movie tiresome. The second half picks up but I think it's a slow movie that revels in excess with a completely unlikeable main character.

Comment

• Goblin19
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 2, 2002

And Flash Gordon is a fun movie. It's not great, by any means, but it sets out to be a fun family action movie, and, for the most part succeeds. I never watched it until I was an adult.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                                Made in the USA
                                • May 2, 2003

The Ones that come to Mind Right Away...

Movies: Videodrome

TV: Doctor Who & The Prisoner
                                Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎