Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fallensaviour
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 28, 2006

Cult movies I can't stand.....Eraserhead,repoman,eating raoul,Monty pythons the holy grail,life of Brian,
    pink flamingos,frankenhooker,Mulholland drive,phantom of the paradise,Brazil,Barton fink,fear and loathing in Las Vegas and That'll do for now.....
    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by fallensaviour
      Cult movies I can't stand.....Eraserhead,repoman,eating raoul,Monty pythons the holy grail,life of Brian,
      pink flamingos,frankenhooker,Mulholland drive,phantom of the paradise,Brazil,Barton fink,fear and loathing in Las Vegas and That'll do for now.....
      Frankenhooker ? seriously ?

I love that movie --- My will asks that i'd be buried with a homemade burned copy of it placed neatly upon my ready to rot chest

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I find Monty Python & the Holy Grail hilarious. Great fan of their Meaning of Life, too.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by fallensaviour
          Welp, we can never be friends.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I find Monty Python & the Holy Grail hilarious. Great fan of their Meaning of Life, too.
            I love Meaning of Life but i'm a little iffy on the others.

Comment

• Iron Mego
              Wake Up Heavy
              • Jan 31, 2010

Holy Grail is really the only MP movie I find consistently funny. The rest are pretty meh.
              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
                What is this? An I hate Blade Runner thread?????

I love Blade Runner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blasphemy!!!

With ya Hector old Buddy!

That said...here's my don't understand the Cult following list:

The Princess Bride- Tried several times to watch it at the urging of my friends. Still don't like it.
                The Fifth Element- Convoluted boring story.
                Re-Animator

TV Shows:

Walking Dead...really can't fathom the popularity of this show.
                Breaking Bad
                The Big Bang Theory- Can't get past Sheldon...I HATE him!
                sigpic

Comment

• Bravestarr
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Mar 26, 2017

I dig Blade Runner The new film thats whole new ballgame

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

I'm a big fan of Cult movies.

Back in the VHS rental days, there was a store in Santa Monica called Vidiots. They had an amazing collection of Cult movies to rent. It was the only place that had Alejandro Jodorowsky's El Topo and The Holy Mountain, rare Andy Warhol flicks, Kenneth Anger's Scorpio Rising, which according to Hunter Thompson, the Hells Angels were cool with when if first premiered. And of course, the Luis Buñuel classic:

So many other favorites: Repo Man, Blade Runner, Jesus of Montreal, Brazil, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover, Clerks, Scanners, Naked Lunch, Crash (1996), The Lords of Flatbush, Harold and Maude, A Clockwork Orange, The City of Lost Children and anything by Ralph Bakshi and David Lynch. I'm sure there's a ton more I'm forgetting.

Rocky Horror is a very polarizing movie. I was fortunate enough to see it for the first time in a historic single screened theatre in South Pasadena called the Rialto. They would have midnight screenings of Rocky Horror on the weekends and there was a full cast of actors in costume that played along with the movie. They new all the gag lines and their delivery was spot on. This was back in the day when the rice and toast went flying and people got out of their seats to do The Time Warp. Before the movie would start they would play Dancing In The Street by Bowie and Jagger. Everyone would cheer when Bowie jumps into the scene and scream when Jagger has his close up. They would even ask if there were any "Virgins" in the audience (those who were seeing Rocky for the first time). Anyone crazy enough to raise their hand would be taken to the front and clowned on for a while. I don't think I could watch this movie without the audience participation.

So that's what I like. What I dislike, I really dislike:

Goonies. Been hearing about this movie for years and finally decided to see the trailer to find out what all the fuss was about. I couldn't get through the trailer. I wanted to reach into the screen and mortally wound the fat kid.

Princess Bride is probably the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. Hated all the characters and couldn't find anything redeeming about this movie at all.

The Big Lebowski. I really wanted to like this movie but I can't get through it. Gave it 3 chances and gave up each single time. It's a shame; looks like something right up my alley.

Well, that's it. Long live the Cult movies and us weirdos that watch them over and over again.

Last edited by J.B.; Oct 7, '17, 2:10 PM.
                    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 23, 2001

I was just going to say The Big Lebowski. You have to be very high in order to enjoy that movie in my opinion. Although I do like John Turturo as Jesus in the bowling alley scene. I think that's the best thing in the movie.

Fight Club is another one that I understand the movie...but I don't see it as being a cult status type of movie.

The Unforgiven...just don't get it. I think it's one of the worst films that Eastwood ever did. Boring in my opinion.

TV series...CAN"T STAND and don't understand Doctor Who at all. Never saw the appeal...maybe it was all of those damn Tom Baker wannabe's at Creation Cons all those years ago. They destroyed that convention in my opinion. Maybe that's why I can't stand the show...although I do love that my bro used to step on the scarves of the Tom Baker Cosplay people and make them choke ...by accident of course

Comment

• Bravestarr
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Mar 26, 2017

Fargo 1996
                        Last edited by Bravestarr; Oct 7, '17, 7:11 PM.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Any of the Halloween movies

I don't mind slasher movies in general ... just don't like the Halloween franchise

Comment

• starsky
                            veteran member
                            • Aug 26, 2007

For me it's Bladerunner and Big Trouble in Little China. i've tried watching them again just a month ago and nothings changed for me. lol

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by starsky
                              Big Trouble in Little China.
                              That's the one Carpenter/Russell collaboration that I'm not super fond of either. I don't think it's terrible but I fail to connect with the concept that it's great either.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• warlock664
                                Persistent Member
                                • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by starsky
                                and Big Trouble in Little China.
                                +1
                                Also, anything Tarantino.

Comment

Working...