Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

This? Saw it as a child because you know, cartoons are for children. Scared the ^%$# out of me, so much so that I still don't like looking at it.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

^--- yup that's it ..... I remember in the mid-late 70's it was played on PBS and it was an event everybody had to watch --- Think our teacher told us to watch it.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
        ^--- yup that's it ..... I remember in the mid-late 70's it was played on PBS and it was an event everybody had to watch --- Think our teacher told us to watch it.
        Yeah it has this huge following. The majority of the movies that creeped me out as a kid are some of my favourites now but not this one....
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
          …nobody is essentially wrong, unless you like show girls…
          hahaha!

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Never got the appeal of Fantastic Planet. I think it's grotesque.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

Glad to see several mentions of "Blade Runner". Makes me not feel so alone in my opinion.

For me, "Blade Runner" falls into the same category as "The Lord of the Rings" and "Hobbit" movies. They are beautiful and full of many things that should be pulling me in, but I fall asleep when trying to watch any of them. Just last night I tried to watch "Blade Runner" on Syfy and fell asleep. I think it's all the rain and how darkly-lit all of the scenes are in addition to the pacing. I have never made it through the whole movie, not even once.

That said, I do plan on going to see "Blade Runner 2049" at the matinee tomorrow. I'm a weirdo like that.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Showgirls played constantly on the only movie channel we had on our college cable package...The Movie Channel...where films went to die. It was on so often, it was background noise for some time. So I can see it becoming a cult film in that way. Plus the idea of Jessie from Saved by the Bell going bad still has an appeal to a certain age group, I guess.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I love Rocky Horror, the film and musical. It's even better on stage. I re-watch it regularly, and listen to the various soundtracks even more so.

I'm also cool with Phantom of the Paradise.

For me personally, some "cult" films I like are The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T and Return to Oz.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by palitoy

Buckaroon Banzai- I should love this, it's got all the ear marks of something I'd like but it just isn't a favourite. I don't think it's bad, I just don't buy what it's selling I guess.

Rocky Horror- Been to see it live twice, it's something everyone should see once but I'll never watch it again.

Goonies- My wife adores it, i just find it irritating. Granted, she was 11 when it came out.

Yeah, I'd agree with those.
                    Buckaroo Banzai is moderately entertaining, but that's about all.
                    The Rocky Horror Picture Show was amusing the one time I watched it. No desire to revisit it any time soon.
                    The Goonies... Watched it once when it first came out. Fun, I guess... but I don't plan to watch it again.
                    I'd also add:
                    Repo Man, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Brazil, The Fifth Element and many others. All of them certainly have their merits as films, but overall they failed to click with me.
                    I'll list a few more when I think of some.
                    Last edited by Bruce Banner; Oct 6, '17, 3:40 PM.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      I love Rocky Horror, the film and musical.
                      Probably a big reason I don't like it is, I hate musicals. I find the Sound of Music excruciating.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

What is this? An I hate Blade Runner thread?????

I love Blade Runner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blasphemy!!!

Ok, now that I've cleared my sinuses...

I don't get the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Some Berkeley movie theater used to show that movie every weekend at midnight for decades, and the same people flocked to it like flies on p00, lol. I've seen it a total of one time, that was more than enough for me.

The Goonies is appreciated because it's nostalgic to me, just like many 60s/70s shows and cartoons. I have fond memories of them, but I can't watch them nowadays anymore. Perfect example, Hanna Barbera cartoons, probably my favorite as a kid, but I prefer to remember them as how I enjoyed them as a youngster.
                        sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I do not care for seeing Rocky Horror in a cinema, once of that interaction is enough.

I love musicals, but you're correct, Werewolf-- Sound of Music is excruciating lol.

A cult film I don't enjoy: Eraserhead.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                            Wake Up Heavy
                            • Jan 31, 2010

Eraserhead is my favorite movie of all time, but I couldn't fault someone for not liking it, or outright hating it for that matter.

Phantasm will always be a big FAVE of mine. Made a really big impression on me as a teen, and I've watched it about 6 times this past year (after not having seen it for more than 20). Thanks to IMDb I kind of understand why it got to me as a kid, the deleted scenes, and other production issues culminated in a disjointed and (I think) unintentionally surreal film. The sequels are all pretty blah.

Will always love Blade Runner. Although upon my last viewing I did find myself a tad bored.

I saw Eating Raoul for the first time not too long ago and could not for the life of me figure out why it had achieved cult status and not just disappeared into obscurity. Dumb movie, boring as all ****, repetitive, with horrible acting. Just plain bad. Much of the stuff from the Corman School of Film kinda hits me the same way.

Rocky Horror never did it for me either. I would like to see Shock Treatment some day though. It seemed like it was nearly impossible to find on video for the short period of time in which I would have been most interested in seeing it.
                            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• GordoCrisp
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Nov 1, 2012

The Princess Bride.

I guess it is kind of a sweet, fairy tale kind of thing, but I don't get the cultish following.
                              Last edited by GordoCrisp; Oct 6, '17, 6:19 PM.

Comment

• TomStrong
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 22, 2011

My wife has made me watch both Rocky Horror and Urban Cowboy and they’re both excruciatingly painful to me.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎