X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

"Cult movies all your friends love but you don't" thread

This thread is brought to you by Blade Runner 2049. All my friends are telling me to see this movie, trouble is, they all think Blade Runner is the bee's knees. I find it lifeless and I've watched it nearly a dozen times, it's not me, it's Blade Runner. I just....can't.

Here are a couple of others people in my life love and I don't:

Buckaroon Banzai- I should love this, it's got all the ear marks of something I'd like but it just isn't a favourite. I don't think it's bad, I just don't buy what it's selling I guess.

Rocky Horror- Been to see it live twice, it's something everyone should see once but I'll never watch it again.

Goonies- My wife adores it, i just find it irritating. Granted, she was 11 when it came out.

What are some of yours?
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Anything Godzilla: I like Godzilla toys and images but I just don't care about the movies.

Dark Knight: Maybe not cult, but this one isn't made for me I guess.

Phantasm: perhaps I needed to see this in my teens, but I didn't and I just find it stupid. The tall man is cool, the ball is cool, the movie is just stupid.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• palitoy
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
      Anything Godzilla: I like Godzilla toys and images but I just don't care about the movies.
      I get that, huge Godzilla fan but as I get older I find the "ground crew" stories kind of tiresome. I can watch the more fantastical science fiction plots but the rest leave me a bit cold.

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
      Phantasm: perhaps I needed to see this in my teens, but I didn't and I just find it stupid. The tall man is cool, the ball is cool, the movie is just stupid.
      Yeah, I saw it at 14 (on videodisk!) and my takeaway is that it's more of a collection of neat images than a cohesive story. I honestly can't figure out what their evil plot is.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Not a big Kaiju fan. I appreciate the love for them, but I kind of get miffed when they steal the spotlight from my gothic monsters too much.

Never been to into Blade Runner. I like it, but it didn't make much of an impact.

I like The Goonies, but I prefer the more raw Monster Squad. Those kids talk and act more like my crew back then, and we were the same age in that era.

I loathe The Fifth Element. Never understood why that caught on with anyone. Saw it once in the theater and never want to see it again. I was shocked to find it had found a cult fanbase.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

One that comes to mind, right now, is "Resevoir Dogs." They all seemed to love it, but it didn't really appeal to me. I like "Pulp Fiction" ok, but they all seemed to love it and quoted it for years. Seeing it once was enough for me.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

Yeah, Blade Runner is one of mine as well. Lovely looking, but super boring characters and story.

Buckaroon Banzai - I've never been able to watch it all the way through. I believe I've seen it all in random chunks at least 4 times, because it ALWAYS seemed to be on and I was always interested enough to try it again for 20 min. chunks.

I love "Rocky Horror", but I saw it once in a theatre years ago and I'll never do that again. I think movie is much more enjoyable standing on its own.

I saw Goonies in the theatre 3 times - by myself - never did that before or again. I was 12, which I think is exactly the right age for Goonies. I saw it again a few years ago, and I think it has some nice silly fun charm, but yeah, I was the right age.

Donnie Darko doesn't get talked about a lot now, but there was a time where everyone I knew seemed to love it. Just didn't work for me at all. Seemed confusing without having much point, and I thought it was pretty shallow. Patrick Swayze was good in it.

Not a cult movie, but Terminator 2 is a movie that I think everyone I know who was too young to see Terminator 1 first thinks is AMAZING, and I think it totally blows.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

I sooooo wanted to like Phantom of the Paradise. Love DePalma, and it has Jessica Harper from Suspiria. A colorful film palette, and a take on Phantom of the Opera. Blind bought it this year, and it failed to connect with me. (Sorry, Brian, because I know you recommended it on the podcast). What am I missing, and do I need to give it another chance?

Newer film: Scott Pilgrim VS the World. Get off my lawn, you kids! I couldn't put it on eBay fast enough.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Rocky Horror- My sister likes it but I find it extremely difficult to sit through.
                Phantom of Paradise- Another one my sister likes but I can't sit through.
                Goonies- Not good enough for me.
                Nightmare on Elm street series
                Chucky movies
                Friday the 13th
                Texas Chainsaw Massacre
                Re-animator
                Hellraiser series
                Fifth Element- Ugh

This is starting to be a really long list for me
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• boss
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 18, 2003

I agree with the movies listed here. As for TV shows, my list is:

Walking Dead
                  Doctor Who
                  Breaking Bad
                  Big Bang Theory

People who know me think I should love all of these.
                  Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
                    I sooooo wanted to like Phantom of the Paradise. Love DePalma, and it has Jessica Harper from Suspiria. A colorful film palette, and a take on Phantom of the Opera. Blind bought it this year, and it failed to connect with me. (Sorry, Brian, because I know you recommended it on the podcast). What am I missing, and do I need to give it another chance?
                    Oof, sorry to lead you astray, if a movie doesn't resonate with you and you watched it with a clear frame of mind i doubt a second pass will wow you but maybe?

[qupte]Newer film: Scott Pilgrim VS the World. Get off my lawn, you kids! I couldn't put it on eBay fast enough.[/QUOTE]

See i adore that one. Might be because i love the soundtrack and it's set in my stomping grounds when I was that age.

Donnie Darko doesn't get talked about a lot now, but there was a time where everyone I knew seemed to love it. Just didn't work for me at all. Seemed confusing without having much point, and I thought it was pretty shallow. Patrick Swayze was good in it.
                    You know, I saw it when it initially came out because it felt like i had too. I remember thinking it was Ok at the time but I've never had any desire to watch it again.

Not a cult movie, but Terminator 2 is a movie that I think everyone I know who was too young to see Terminator 1 first thinks is AMAZING, and I think it totally blows.
                    That's interesting! I used to own it on laser disk because it was the kind of movie you'd want to own on that format. Someone stole it from me in college and i didn't really care. Never watched it since then either. Never seen any of the sequels, just done with the whole thing to be honest.

I loathe The Fifth Element. Never understood why that caught on with anyone. Saw it once in the theater and never want to see it again. I was shocked to find it had found a cult fanbase.
                    The first time I watched it, I loathed it. Now i really enjoy it, not sure what changed but it probably had a lot to do with me finding Chris Tucker less jarring the second time. The humour is what I dig about the movie, it feels like a bit of a spoof and well, I like spoofs very much.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Hmmm, I think my biggest one is Rocky Horror ---- I just don't get what's so appealing about it.

Saturday Night Fever --- love the music, story is boring as hell

ET --- think i'm the only person that never seen it, and am just fine with that

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

Hmmm, interesting… the question prompted a venture to seek out what's even defined as *cult* by contemporary ([sic] internet-age) standards. Lots of sources out there, but in consideration this reads as decent historical overview: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

For me a good cult movie was likely shot *on-film* and has ties to subculture such as cyberpunk, goth, sci-fi, art, etc. I like the idea there's a participatory element whether you throw things, sing and quote (Rocky Horror, Valley Girl, Beautiful Girls, etc.), or dig deep into the psyche or making of movie (Apocalypse Now, Clockwork Orange, The Matrix, etc.). Also, cinematography and art direction can be enough for me to deeply appreciate a movie, despite other shortcomings.

Subjective as anything, that said… Showgirls definitely sucked, and I'm going to see Blade Runner 2049 this afternoon.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

For the most part, I consider a cult movie something that the general public more or less rejected but it found it's audience, who defend it vehemently. Preference is what it is, nobody is essentially wrong, unless you like Show Girls. That's just trash they tried to re-market as a midnight movie.

Comment

• mikeMc6
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 24, 2012

This is an enlightening thread because I'm gonna rent out the local oldie movie theater for a mini toy show and show a classic horror/sci fi movie for free and whenever i think I find a good candidate I try to watch and think...ugh..or worse, boring...my last toy show there I showed the 1933 King Kong which was perfect as it had excellent pacing and went over well...
                            INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
                            WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

I, like most people watched Showgirls for just the nude scenes ---- I never expected anything more so I wasn't let down by it .

There was another movie i'd like to add to this list ... It's a vague memory ... Maybe late 70's Japanese? cartoon about tiny people being slaves?

I remember everybody liking but I was like, meh

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎