X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiderman67
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 28, 2010

Mego head paints

What kind of paint is used for original mego heads? Can it be found as a spray?
    Take two mego's and call me in the morning.
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

I am certainly no expert, but my understanding is the original Mego heads used a type of industrial paint that you cannot easily purchase... and that you need to be concerned about health and safety when working with it.

Comment

• spiderman67
      Museum Super Collector
      • Jan 28, 2010

Thanks for the info. Does plasti-dip still work well on degreying heads? I thought I read somewhere that the formula changed but I could be mistaken.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 13, 2016

I see people still using Plasti-dip for degreying. I am not an expert on that, though.
        I build up layers of color using pastels and paints to cover up grey, that only works if you are changing the tone of the skin I guess. I used this method on a Batgirl last year and I thought it turned out pretty good.
        Trying to remember if there are other techniques....
        Diana

Comment

• spiderman67
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jan 28, 2010

Thanks for posting this. I will try this out. I’m not the greatest painter but I can practice on a beater head before I work on the real deal.

Comment

• William Vafai
            Museum Super Collector
            • Oct 14, 2017

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

^Very nice! What head/paints did you use? The details look great.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• William Vafai
                Museum Super Collector
                • Oct 14, 2017

When I fix a rubber head, I use permanent markers. The Biggs head is rubber so used black water based paint for his mustache. If you mess with it too much it rubs off a little bit. On a resin head i use oil based paints.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by William Vafai
                  When I fix a rubber head, I use permanent markers. The Biggs head is rubber so used black water based paint for his mustache. If you mess with it too much it rubs off a little bit. On a resin head i use oil based paints.
                  In time, the permanent marker is going to bleed. It'll seep into the surrounding area and stain it forever.

Comment

• William Vafai
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Oct 14, 2017

I don't use it on the entire head. I use it on heads that have a few scuffs. If you have a rubber head with pen markings on the face and they don't wash off, you can leave the head in direct sun light. The marks will fade away. The longer you leave it in the sun, the better it works.
                    Last edited by William Vafai; Nov 6, '17, 8:11 PM.

Comment

• William Vafai
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Oct 14, 2017

Use the force Luke

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                        Museum Patron
                        • Mar 1, 2008

Ok, I missed the answer. Since a roto-cast Mego head is rubbery and flexes, wouldn’t one want a paint made for rubber? Maybe a vinyl paint?

I like acrylics but I would think acrylic paint might chip off when swapping heads and flexing them. If it doesn’t, that’s the way to go.

If I get an unpainted roto-cast head from, say, doc Mego...how am I supposed to paint it?
                        DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎