X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paladin
    • Oct 26, 2015

Custom Jet Jungle and Zorro questions.

Hello all,

While I wait for the parts for my first custom to arrive, my thoughts turned to the next two, Jet Jungle and Zorro.

Now I realize that these have been doine to death, and that ready made parts are available, but that is just the problem for me. Which parts and sources are the best. The gallery entries are pretty clear that the repro market pieces are different, JJ's head from CTVT is "squat" compared to the original Bruce head it was based on. And the Zorro heads are different from the Gallahad head.

So I'm hoping that someone may have the ablity to compare them and maybe take a pic or two to compare so I can figure out which way I can go for the best results. I'm also not above getting a CTVT JJ clone if its close enough. Any help you guys can provide would be much apprciated.

Thanks

Mike
  • fallensaviour
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 28, 2006

This should answer your questions for Zorro and JJ.

Last edited by fallensaviour; Oct 4, '17, 9:43 AM.
    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Paladin
      • Oct 26, 2015

Hey thanks for the links, I appreciate you trying to help but there is some issues with those pictures.
      Lighting and position of a subject can drastically alter the appearence of the subject matter. All of the pictures there for comparison are from different sources so I cant really tell how different they are from one another. Thats why I was hoping that the few who own these figures could help me out. I know it maybe a long shot hoping for originals vs repros exactly, but any repro Jet head next to an original Bruce and an original Galahad next to a repro Zorro would help greatly.

And yes, yes....I am aware that this is extreamly anal of me.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I'm sorry, I don't fully understand your reservation about the Gallery comparisons. The original and repro heads are adequately contrasted IMO.

I own a vintage Zorro and also want to do a repro Jet Jungle. You'll note in JJ's entry that the original's thick brows have an aggressive slant; the CTVT copy looks a bit dopey.

For myself, I plan to get a vintage RC Bats (Wayne) head and have it repainted. I'd recommend doing the same with a Galahad/Scarlet head for Zorro. The FTC new Wayne casting is more solid, but both it and Doc Mego's Galahad copy are smallish and with duller details--copies. I think that the repro accessories/clothes for both are serviceable, but you can also use a vintage Action Jackson Secret Agent suit for JJ if you wish.

Rely on the gallery for the originals' paint details. The galleries are a great resource.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 4, '17, 8:36 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Paladin
          • Oct 26, 2015

Thats exactly what I meant. The images, for paint are fine...but the shape, size and contours of the repros cant be deduced from the pic accuratly. I actually copied the image from CTVT JJ head from their site and the image of the original and the repro from the gallery, but when you look at them all together...all three look different. So I was hoping to get some solid pics and or answers as to where to start. I am thinking that the Zorro head would have to be the original Galahad head redone into Zorro. But I'm likely going to need a painter who would work with me to get them just right. But I need to make sure i give them the best starting point. Thanks, and please be patient with me, I love the site and the resouces and info here. The members alone are awesome, the rest is gravy.

Comment

• fallensaviour
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 28, 2006

The comparisons provided in the galleries are very well represented by the various vendors.
            So not really sure what else you need?
            Best option is to get your repro parts if that's what you want to do ,and use original heads of Bruce and Galahad just repainted.
            Make sure you use an original Trek body for zorro,and a type 1 or type 0 for JJ Its really just that simple.
            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Paladin
              • Oct 26, 2015

I'm likely going to use original parts, but before I bit the bullet and got them I wanted to get the best possible concensus on what the best option would be. I'll have to find a good painter and the right parts.
              I looked for the mystery astornaut...holy smokes that cat is expensive. The only one I could find was on the bay and they wanted almost $500 for him, that right?

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                Career Member
                • Jan 11, 2013

This is a good link.
                Here is my final version of one of my favourite figures..... Jet Jungle. Unlike most customs he is 100% all Mego including the head! Apologies for the pictures not being the right way up!!!

Shows the one I made (have since changed recently) plus another custom that was made by another member, and in his last entry, you can see a comparison of his custom, using original parts ( a mystery astronaut, with AJ spy outfit) alongside the CTV JJ version.

I have recently acquired a CCTV JJ head, but have painted the eyes so that they are blue, just like the original.The CCTV JJ eyes are just black.

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 11, 2013

Here is a picture of another JJ figure I made, on a Type 2 body, with a CTV Toys head, with eyes repainted, along with another CTV Toys head, again with eyes repainted.IMG_20171007_231422163.jpgIMG_20171007_231246115.jpg
                  Finally, here is a picture of my original custom JJ on a Type 1 body. He was once a Mystery Astronaut! Pictured in his repo box, along with his faithful companion, Jupiter!
                  IMG_20171007_232158911.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎