X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paladin
    • Oct 26, 2015

KISS figures...guru advice needed

Hi all,

Well...Im thrilled that I finally have my KISS figures in hand...however upon opening them I discovered that I am truly disappointed by the bodies that were used.
    I'd like to hear opinions on which bodies would best to replace these shoddy FTC bodies. I'm leaning towards the S type from 8 inch super store. But I'm not very well informed concerning the newer re-mego movement and all of the various options available. So im hoping some of the kind folks in here can help stear me in the right direction to avoid clothing fitment issues...going from bad to worse etc...

Thanks in advance

Mike
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

The drmego or S Type bodies are both good choices. Really can't go wrong.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Paladin
      • Oct 26, 2015

I have the Romulan put out by mattel, are drmego's bodies different than those?
      And honestly, considering the rigidity of these KISS heads, how difficult is this head swapping going to be?

Comment

• warlock664
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 15, 2009

My main concern with body swapping these, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I "think" the Kiss figures were produced on a body that is slightly smaller than FTC's standard 8" body. I thought I remember someone posting that they used the same body they used for Korak. If that's the case, I'd be concerned at how tight the costumes might be on a larger body. But I may be mistaken. I was so disappointed with the bodies on my 8" Love Gun set that I tossed them in a box a few years ago and haven't touched them since. But a body swap would definitely improve them.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

I swapped my Love Gun set with Doc Mego swivel arm bodies and I am happy with how they turned out. I didn't have any problem with the outfits not fitting. I was a little worried that the color of the flesh on the heads wouldn't look right next to the color of the body but I have found that I don't really notice it. The neck plugs on the heads are on the small side so I wrapped them with some masking tape until they fit snug.

Also, I think the Romulan you have is made by Diamond Select which is the same as Doc Megos body.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Paladin
            • Oct 26, 2015

OK...so for the swivel arm body that DrMego has, Im currently hovering on buying it...any issues with it?
            And I read that acrylic paint is best to use to paint heads. What about cracking and/or chipping on the vinyl of DrMego heads?
            I'm getting a bit nuts here with the purchases...lol...the wife is having a fit.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

I'm fine with Docs swivel bodies. Sometimes I restring them, but that's about it.

I'm a bit confused by what vinyl Doc Mego heads you want to paint. Do you want to paint the alter ego heads?

Comment

• Paladin
                • Oct 26, 2015

Exactly, TBH...im not really into the WGSH lines...I like the other figures that I never had. My original idea was to get the Tex Willer head from Doc and then paint the hair white for a Jet Jungle. The gallery shows the differences between the various versions and Doc seems to be the closest to the original, I just have to decide if my painting skills ( or lack of) are good enough to try it instead of getting the CTVT JJ head. Then the orignal Secret Agent set...some other gear, and a scale black leopard to complete the custom.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Acrylics are the best for painting on vinyl. I guess I used to use liquitex, but it's been a long time since I painted a vinyl head so I'm not sure anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎