X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Man of Steel becomes the man of gold

I couldn't get over the sincerity of this licensing advertisement for Superman from 1983. which states that Superman 3 will "Make box office history for the third time in a row" and "we're expecting the strongest sales ever".

I remember seeing Superman 3 with my best friend, we were both 12 and I remember being really excited for a new Superman movie.

The robot lady gave me awful nightmares and the popcorn had me throwing up all night. So, I don't have fond memories of Superman 3 (Unlike Trading Places, the film we saw the week prior which made men out of us, ahem) and likely didn't buy any merchandise that summer.

I think it's so weird to see a spread of Superman merchandise that doesn't include an action figure but with Mego going out of business that year and one year until Super Powers, this was a weird void.

My kids have never known a world where they couldn't go to a store and see a Superman action figure in some form. That's a weird concept because i certainly remember "the dark times"

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • rykerw1701
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 27, 2007

In hindsight, the robot lady and Evil Superman are about the only good parts of that movie. You'll note a lack of Richard Pryor images in that pile of Superman stuff. The movie should have done that, too.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Actually I'm not surprised it doesn't feature Pryor or Reeve, LCA was selling Superman, not movie Superman. It's a weird bit of separation that simply doesn't happen as much today.

Although I guess FTC is a shining example of it still happening, as far as I know, they don't have ability to touch the movie or TV properties outside of certain animated works.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Chuck Cunningham (Happy Days) as Lana's abusive boyfriend was weird casting -but he did do a good job.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
          Chuck Cunningham (Happy Days) as Lana's abusive boyfriend was weird casting -but he did do a good job.
          You've never seen Death Wish 3 have you?

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

I like Superman III in a similar way I like Jaws 2. And yes, the Robot Lady seems to be responsible for a lot of kindertrauma and need for therapy.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy

Gavan O'Herlihy.... also had a sizable role in a favorite 'round these parts: WILLOW
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Superman III is your average Bronze Age Superman comic about Superman encountering a regular Joe character that gets caught up in extraordinary circumstances. Unfortunately, no one wants an average Superman story in a Superman MOVIE.

That being said, I really love the Smallville stuff with Lana, the chemical fire, and the Superman/Clark battle. The robot lady scared the beejeezus out of me too, especially the pics in Starlog's magazine special!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

That being said, I really love the Smallville stuff with Lana, the chemical fire, and the Superman/Clark battle. The robot lady scared the beejeezus out of me too, especially the pics in Starlog's magazine special!
                  True story, the day after seeing the movie and having those nightmares, I tagged along with my dad for some reason to the city.

My dad ended up servicing a store. It left me to sit and wait at the magazine rack. The only title that would interest a kid? That stupid Starlog special and of course, I couldn't not look at those photos. it was torture!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^Ha!

The poster from that issue with Reeve doing the shirt-rip in the junk yard stayed on my walls for YEARS. Somehow it survived, and my son put it up years ago, and it's still there!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I think Honeycomb did some vinyl transfers here and I had Christopher Reeve on my aquarium until like 1989....

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy

Wow, I did see DW3 but never realized that was him !!!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

I had the Superman III View-Master reels and the novelization. A few of the Topps cards and a poster magazine... that was about all the S3 merchandise I had.

I remember watching the extended TV version when it was broadcast over here.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

And Gavan O'Herlihy is of course the son of Dan O'Herlihy (Halloween III, The Last Starfighter, Robocop, etc.)
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• knight errant00
                              8 Inch Action Figure
                              • Nov 15, 2005

Reeve was at his Superman-best in III. He'd built up physically and really looked the part, and he knew the character well enough that it's just . . . Superman . . . we see on screen.

If only the script and the rest of the production was up to his performance . . .

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎