X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    Curious as to your thoughts on both when you get them Hector.
    Will do...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

My weekend is set for some Godzilla and Star Blazers fun...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I watched both. I liked Space Battleship Yamato a lot more than Shin Godzilla.

I'll post a more detailed account later in the evening.
        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

I was out most of the day...let me settle in...just a tad longer...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Ok, here goes...

Shin Godzilla:

Good parts...Godzilla himself. A true baddarze. Looked scary as hell. Some criticized his little bitty eyes, I loved them, it gave it an evil demonic look. Shin Godzilla was way more powerful than its American counterpart. Shooting multiple lasers from even his tail was not only a great offensive weapon, but a defensive one as well. The way he just strolled through the city was truly devastating, a real weapon of mass destruction. A lot of the music soundtrack was not original and borrowed, but it was used effectively, the haunting chorus was great, it fit Godzilla, the destruction, and the ambience perfectly. A very impressive CGI Godzilla indeed. One thing though, many fans criticized the rotund look of the American Godzilla, but Shin Godzilla had HUGE THICK thighs himself, lol. The movie NAILED Godzilla and its destructive force.

Bad parts:

THE HUMANS! Starting with that pretty chick. The most absurd and incredible thing in this movie was not Godzilla, it was her. Am I the only one who rolled up the eyes and laughed outloud when it mentioned that she wanted to be the president of the United States? 🤣🤣🤣 ...with a straight face at that? Ok, ignore the fact that she's a female of Japanese decent...but the young lady could hardly speak English, heck, Julio Iglesias speaks better English, lol. That was silly. Second, the bureaucracy, while interesting at first, just dragged, dragged, and dragged on, all while listening to that constant military drumming, my head was spinning after nearly two hours of that. The Americans shown as very secretive, like it's almost a sin to show them, they almost came across as alien beings or something. Lastly, the newborn Godzilla, it looked like something outta a Muppets show. I guess they wanted an animated giant pińata or something, lol. Come on, adult Godzilla was just so awesome, baby Godzilla so lame.

Great Godzilla, bad Baby Godzilla, good soundtrack, impressive special effects (especially for a non-Hollywood film), and non memorable humans.

Shin Godzilla...7 out of 10.

Space Battleship Yamato:

Wow! I thought it was going to be a cheap cheesy Power Rangers type production, but man, this was an excellent movie. I read that the lead actor who played Susumu Kodai (Derek Wildstar) was not pleased with early drafts of the special-effects scenes, and gave up a large chunk of his salary to improve and produce a better product. Well, it showed. While not quite modern Star Wars level, it was pretty darn good. The acting was not bombastic like in other Japanese flicks, as we all I know, there's quite a cultural difference in mannerisms and expressions. Kodai had a presence and command to him, very admirable and heroic...I dug the heck outta him. I also liked the lead actress playing Yuki Mori, not only hot, but a true baddarze too. Captain Okita on the other hand came across as a bit cartoonish, perhaps it was his hat, lol. I was a tad disappointed that the wave motion gun was not used more often, that's like light sabers in Star Wars being used only twice in the entire movie. I'm not sure how to feel about the new look Gamilans, they were a bit too Starship Troopers-looking. Would've prefered regular humans with painted purple faces like in the animated series. The movie was not light-hearted, it was somber in tone...and it had one huge tragic scene, but will leave that for people who have not seen it yet to find out. Overall, a damn good movie, will definitely see it again.

Star Battleship Yamato...9 outta 10.

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Ok, so I posted a review, Brian.

That's it?

No feedback?

sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 2, 2002

He's like the hot girl in high school. Leads you around by the nose, gets you to do exactly what he wants....then nothing.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Goblin19
                    He's like the hot girl in high school. Leads you around by the nose, gets you to do exactly what he wants....then nothing.
                    That's the first time that I've been likened to the hot girl in any scenario.

Interesting assesments Hector, I more of less agree.

Shin Godzilla's governmental story was interesting but hopefully not repeated.

As for Yamato, I should have hated the new depiction of Yuki and yeah the cgi Gamilons weren't a great idea but the movie works for me too.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Goblin19

Oh, Brian came through...

Thanks, buddy...

sigpic

Comment

• phil
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 11, 2007

Does the DVD and or Blu-Ray for Shin Godzilla have both Japanese and English language options?

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by phil
                          Does the DVD and or Blu-Ray for Shin Godzilla have both Japanese and English language options?
                          I found out that it has both languages.

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

I finally saw Shin Godzilla the other day and enjoyed it. I liked the approach they took. It may not be perfect but I liked it more than the 2014 Hollywood Godzilla.

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

Shin Godzilla is one of my three favorite Japanese Godzilla films. #1 is the 1954 original, #2 is Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster, and #3 is Shin Godzilla.

While I love big monster rumbles, to me, Godzilla is best when it addresses a topical issue.
                              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎