X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Batman belt help: measurements?

I'm confused and would appreciate some advice: what are the lengths of the vintage Batman belts?

That is, what is the length of the early dull translucent (RC release) vs. that revised, longer fist-fighter version, which was also released later in bright opaque yellow?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 24, '17, 9:35 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • piecemaker
    There's no need to fear..
    • Jan 26, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    I'm confused and would appreciate some advice: what are the lengths of the vintage Batman belts?

That is, what is the length of the early dull translucent (RC release) vs. that revised, longer fist-fighter version, which was also released later in bright opaque yellow?

Many thanks.

Well I can give the measurement on one belt which I believe is an early RC Batman belt.

DSCN7365.jpgDSCN7372.jpg
    One pic with flash and one with flash off and back-lit from side. Laid flat and measured it is 103mm or about 4" and 1/16 inches.

I am confused now too because I had thought the Type 2 body Batman had a shorter opaque belt because of the skinnier body. The Fist Fighter body belt area is a little smaller than a Type 2 body.....but it had a longer belt?

I guess they need a longer belt for to allow for movement? Maybe I am wrong about the later opaque belts being shorter?

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you for your info.

On pages 28 and 37 of his book, Benjamin Holcomb indicates differing belt lengths and suggests the FF-figures mobility as the reason for the revision. (I don't see any difference in the width of the belts.)

My measurements:

Batman 1 transparent, squarish buckle: 102 mm (this was on my loose RC Batman)
      Batman 2 transparent, more rectangular buckle: 101 mm
      Batman 3 opaque bright yellow, more rectangular buckle: 103 mm (this was on my carded Batman)

Robin 1 transparent: 102 mm
      Robin 2 transparent: 112 mm
      Robin 3 opaque bright yellow: 111 mm
      Robin Hood green version: 111.5 mm

So the Robin belt mold has substantial length added which is pretty consistent after about '75.

But Batman's belt-length seems stable, based on what I have on hand. Is Mego Super-Heroes:WGT mistaken? I see slightly different molds regarding buckles but otherwise, pretty consistent lengths.

I was thinking maybe another Bat-belt was out there...
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 3, '17, 5:16 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• piecemaker
        • Jan 26, 2009

Thank you for your info.

On pages 28 and 37 of his book, Benjamin Holcomb indicates differing belt lengths and suggests the FF-figures mobility as the reason for the revision. (I don't see any difference in the width of the belts.)

My measurements:

Batman 1 transparent, squarish buckle: 102 mm (this was on my loose RC Batman)
        Batman 2 transparent, more rectangular buckle: 101 mm
        Batman 3 opaque bright yellow, more rectangular buckle: 103 mm (this was on my carded Batman)

Robin 1 transparent: 102 mm
        Robin 2 transparent: 112 mm
        Robin 3 opaque bright yellow: 111 mm
        Robin Hood green version: 111.5 mm

So the Robin belt mold has substantial length added which is pretty consistent after about '75.

But Batman's belt-length seems stable, based on what I have on hand. Is Mego Super-Heroes:WGT mistaken? I see slightly different molds regarding buckles but otherwise, pretty consistent lengths.

I was thinking maybe another Bat-belt was out there...
        Interesting, so with the Mego Batman belts you mentioned and the longer Fist Fighter belt, it seems there are more different Mego Batman belts than I had thought.

More than likely there is a longer Mego Batman FF belt and if I had to guess, I would say its 112mm like the longer Mego Robin belts.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by piecemaker
          Interesting, so with the Mego Batman belts you mentioned and the longer Fist Fighter belt, it seems there are more different Mego Batman belts than I had thought.

More than likely there is a longer Mego Batman FF belt and if I had to guess, I would say its 112mm like the longer Mego Robin belts.
          Yes, but the opaque bright-yellow belts--which were issued last--aren't longer. It seems to me they should be, per your line of thinking. And I don't have any actual FF figures to compare, I don't care for them.

Comment

• piecemaker
            • Jan 26, 2009

Yes, but the opaque bright-yellow belts--which were issued last--aren't longer. It seems to me they should be, per your line of thinking. And I don't have any actual FF figures to compare, I don't care for them.
            Well I try to think in ways that make sense to me but since a lot of things that Mego did doesn't seem to make a lot of sense maybe that's the wrong way to look at it. LOL.

My thinking is that if Robin had a longer belt that there must have been a reason for it, maybe it was changed for the FF Robin. Looking at the MM Robin gallery and the carded Robins,it looks like Robin's belt got longer around 1976.
            I think that was around the same time the Fist Fighters came out.

Now Batman may be a different story and this is just based on the small amount of carded examples in the MM Batman gallery but to me the 1976 card shown there looks like a paler yellow translucent belt. The 1979 carded Batman looks like it may have a
            bigger opaque bright yellow belt than the 1977s shown.

I also think that if Ben mentioned the FFs having bigger belts in his book that he must have seen some examples of these bigger belts for those figures.

It could be that the FF Batman came with both and the bigger belt is a lot harder to find. All that I have seen pictures of seem to have a small belt but we are talking about a boxed figure too, lost belts get replaced sometimes on 40+ year old figures.

It is hard to say maybe someone will chime in that has more info on these. I had a FF Batman and Robin probably 10 years ago,they were not in very shape and I sold them thinking I would find some in better shape. I never did. at least not at a price I wanted to pay.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎