X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I miss the days of smaller toylines...

Remember when most action figure lines were 6-12 figures, a few vehicles and a couple playsets?

I miss those days when you really could "collect them all" without going bankrupt. Lines would last only a year or so...not go on for years with hundreds of figures like they do now.

It's funny but as I get older I'm less and less interested in "collectible" toys and yearn for the simple stuff with limited articulation and paint, like my Kenner Swamp Thing set.

Now I'm getting into Kenner Robocop.

They're not fancy or realistic, but man are they FUN.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Just bought the entire set of ERTL Star Trek 3 figures, all four of them. I collected 'em all!
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^I always wanted those. I remember the comic ads.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
        Just bought the entire set of ERTL Star Trek 3 figures, all four of them. I collected 'em all!
        Oh they are fun! Aren't the heads on them taken from the Mego TMP figures? I got mine way back when from Intergalactic Trading Company.

Dwayne, I totally agree. I love finite collections. It's one of the reasons I don't do Star Wars anymore. When there's no end in sight, it feels like you have no collecting goal.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

It was nice when a toyline would have one series every year. That way you had time to track down almost everyone in the line. Even G.I. Joe:RAH beyond super-popular figures like Snake-Eyes, etc. You'd get the catalog at the beginning of the year, and you knew what to look for!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

What I miss are colorful and bright toys. Compare the vibrant colors of Mattel's Secret Wars to modern Marvel figures. Now all you see is Captain America with brown boots and washed out colors. The Secret Wars figures were like toy candy to the eyes. Bright cheerful and vibrant.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
              What I miss are colorful and bright toys. Compare the vibrant colors of Mattel's Secret Wars to modern Marvel figures. Now all you see is Captain America with brown boots and washed out colors. The Secret Wars figures were like toy candy to the eyes. Bright cheerful and vibrant.
              So true! That's the thing that attracted me to Masters of the Universe back in the day...the colors were incredible! Super Powers too.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 12, 2016

This is why I've gotten away from collecting the high end, expensive figures like Hot Toys, and gone back to just collecting the vintage joes....Sure they're expensive too, but there aren't that many sets or pieces left Im looking for...Collecting has just gotten crazy with prices and so much coming out...And I use to like to collect based on the "cool" factor, so I was buying figures quite frequently....And when you don't have an unlimited disposable income, it adds up after awhile...
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Mego Milk
                  Custom Mego Maker
                  • Jun 3, 2007

Funko ReActions are small sets.
                  Hellboy is 4 figures.
                  Breaking Bad and Pulp Fiction are easy to complete.

APES are coming soon.
                  aw yeah.

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

^This is true, and part of why I like ReAction. Although, I don't like when they leave a line 'unfinished' like with Star Trek (at least cover the basics there).

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Those were great. They really captured the Star Trek movie feel.

I loved the Star Trek III Klingon Targ, the best feature of that toy line.

The ERTL Bird of Prey and U.S.S. Enterprise were pretty awesome!

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
                        So true! That's the thing that attracted me to Masters of the Universe back in the day...the colors were incredible! Super Powers too.
                        Although I totally gel with what you (and Werewolf) are saying about bright and colorful lines... I have to say I can't relate to wishing lines were smaller.

The truth is, I relish the "seemingly endless" modern lines (Legends, Star Wars Black Series, MOTUC, etc.) that offer characters from franchises I never thought possible... I pick and choose for these lines and, frankly, would feel foolish wishing for them to end just to avoid being a one-track-minded completist at risk of "bankruptcy" (that said, I'm pretty much a completist with MOTUC, and is indeed an economic burden... but, again, I'd never wish for the line's demise).
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Klosterheim
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 23, 2013

What are toylines classified as that only make a single item?

There was an Army tank once that opened up to double as a carrying case for 3.75" action figures.

I just wonder how the odd toys get made, then marketed to be sold in stores.

It's a mystery to me how it all comes about.

I guess there are companies that produce a wide range of items, and they also try making a couple toys during the year as well.

Comment

• SKotK
                            Career Member
                            • Mar 11, 2014

Collecting 8" Star Trek Mego is nice because it's finite. And then having EMCE extend the line a bit was a welcome surprise.

If I want to further my hunger for Star Trek Mego, I can still branch out into the movie line. And then I suppose the ERTL line after that.

--SKot
                            Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Spyweb007
                              Persistent Member
                              • Apr 18, 2006

I will admit to buying toy lines in the past just because they were small and manageable. I picked up the Pirates of Dark Water back when they were on clearance, eight figures and the pirate ship was the complete collection. Nice looking toys too.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎