X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Superman The Movie Extended Cut coming to Blu-Ray

I can finally toss that old beaten-up VHS. Oh wait, I still want the ABC Sunday Night Movie opening! I'll just keep both!!!

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - EXTENDED CUT & SPECIAL EDITION 2-FILM COLLECTION (1978,2000)
    Run Time 188 Minutes-EXTENDED CUT (NEW 2017 1080p HD MASTER)
    151 Minutes-SPECIAL EDITION
    Subtitles Spanish, French, English SDH
    DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English (EXTENDED CUT)
    DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 - French, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 - Spanish
    ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.40:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
    COLOR
    2-BD 50
    Special Features (on Superman The Special Edition Disc): Commentary by Director Richard Donner and Creative Consultant Tom Mankiewicz; 3 Documentaries Taking Flight: The Development of Superman, Making Superman: Filming the Legend and The Magic Behind the Cape; Screen Tests; Restored Scenes; Additional Scenes; Additional Music Cues; Music-Only Track

Decades before blockbuster Extended Cuts were common, Superman proved a true “Man of Tomorrow.” Superman: The Movie received an ahead-of-its-time makeover for its television premiere – nearly 40 more minutes of story, creating a two-night television event. Audiences had already been swept off their feet by Christopher Reeve’s Last Son of Krypton, and now there was more to enjoy. Unseen in decades, this version is paired here with Richard Donner’s definitive vision of his film, the Special Edition Director’s Cut (2000), to create a supersized celebration of Metropolis’ favorite son that preserves the director’s intent while feeding superfan demands.
    sigpic
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

This absolutely made my day. Goodbye, bootleg.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Whaaa? I had no idea this existed! What does the additional footage consist of?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Ditto. Waitaminnit, what do I have on dvd? I'm confused.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

This is the ABC TV cut that originally aired over two nights. Some of the footage WAS included in the Director's Cut from 2000 or so, but there is still more here. Like you get to see the Stormtrooper-like Kryptonian guard sent out to kill(!) Jor-El, only to die in all the cataclysm from Krypton starting to go boom.

This is where everyone got to see Superman go through Luthor's gauntlet of fire, ice, bullets, etc. That is in the director's cut, though.

I believe there may be an even LONGER TV cut that was sent out in syndication, but maybe this is pretty much the same thing. Even I get foggy on this.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

From CapedWonder.com:

Every time a new sequence was added into the film, my eyes perked up. New footage of the Kryptonian council’s discussion with Jor-El, added bits and pieces of the destruction of Krypton, a longer look of the Smallville sequences, more footage of the creation of and look inside the Fortress of Solitude, more of Metropolis, all of this was a set-up for more footage of Christopher Reeve as the Man of Steel. His first flight through Metropolis; more moments of interaction with residents, criminals, and Lois Lane alike; and more action throughout the film’s second half – all of this served to expand the tapestry that Richard Donner and company created during 1977-78.

More importantly, even the musical score from John Williams had been expanded for the TV broadcast. This was a first. The original soundtrack album, which I enjoyed on LP and cassette, had only 78 minutes of music included. Now there was even more music in certain places, underscoring Jor-El and Lara’s discussion about their son Kal-El, the destruction of Krypton, the atmosphere in Metropolis, and the action toward the final third of the film. Some of this music had been previously unreleased, while other segments had been re-looped and re-edited to fit within the parameters of the added footage. A longer musical score to boot? That was definitely a first.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Hopefully this opens the door for more of this sort of thing, the expanded Superman II being a logical next release. Jaws and Jaws 2 both had deleted scenes reinserted into the film for television, as did Halloween.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Scroll down for downloads. It may get taken down soon.

http://www.capedwonder.com/superman-the-movie-extended/

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^Yes, that KCOP LA station cut is the one I was thinking was longer than the ABC version. I wonder which version this Blu Ray is? I have that KCOP LA cut on a bootleg VHS, and I think I still have the VHS of one of the last times ABC played their extended cut. We had a VCR by then as well!

Either way, I'll be glad to see it. A beloved movie like this should have every inch of footage available for the fans.

Now, if they do Superman II, will we see the cops at the Fortress, and Superman destroying it with his heat vision?

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Better than just the cops at the Fortress is the cops taking the de-powered Kryptonians into custody! Really changes their fate storywise!

The specs say it's the 188 minute cut, which is the length of the Restored International Cut in the link above. I think we're getting everything!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Sounds like it, and that's what I meant about cops at the Fortress. I remember one cut of II that DOESN'T have the cops taking the Zoners away, but does have Superman destroy the Fortress. So he just killed them! Shades of Byrne and Snyder!

chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Hahah! Absolutely, never thought of it that way!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Very cool, I had no idea. I guess I have the director's cut on vhs and dvd.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

ahh...the story as best I can tell...

Without specifics. The mega-long cut was found in the midwest. A guy who worked at a regional ABC had it. Someone bought that master. A copy of that master made its way to some big fanboys. That got the wheels spinning with Donner for his original director's cut, but he and his editor didn't realize there was footage missing from their working materials. So Donner's group was given the affiliate print and stunned them all. WB pushed off another release, until now.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Finally!
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎