X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Article on CBR about Mego

Mego rarely gets mentioned on current comic newssites, but CBR has become a nest of listicles rather than actual srticles about stuff and their latest listicle is The 15 Most Valuable Megos...

http://www.cbr.com/most-expensive-me...FB-P&view=list

To me it seems poorly researched, but that's typical of CBR these days, but thought it might interest some folks here to at least rubberneck at the article.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

The 15 Most Valuable Megos is too hard a task for a novice. Loose, boxed, Carded then foreign releases, playsets, variants,etc.

They should've gone with coolest or best designed megos.
    Last edited by Mr.Marion; Sep 17, '17, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• rchatlin
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 24, 2001

Seems like they went with "15 Mego's we had on hand to photograph"

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

I'd look but most of their lists you have to deal with too many pop up ads.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
          Banned
          • Jun 23, 2001

I was just going to comment on this...ABSOLUTE JOKE! come to mind when reading this article. Where the hell did they get those numbers they quoted in the listings of the top 15??!!?? This is why I can't stand online writers...they don't have to get the facts straight before they hit send. If this person that wrote the article is a member here they should be ashamed of themselves. Even the wet behind the ears newb here would know that the list is just out and out FALSE.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

What kills me is the author of the article posts it in Megomania. You know a group of people who will see it for the poorly researched piece it is. I can see broadcasting it to comic collectors or toy collectors in general but the folks there called it for what it was. Most clickbait articles and "Mego history" youtube videos are terrible.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I'm not going to even bother clicking on it, no offense to MRP for posting it. CBR was once a great comic site, and truly a RESOURCE, but now it's a click bait haven for pop-up ads and that's it. I have a friend who does artwork there, but it's so aggravating to navigate through all the ads.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by palitoy
                What kills me is the author of the article posts it in Megomania. You know a group of people who will see it for the poorly researched piece it is. I can see broadcasting it to comic collectors or toy collectors in general but the folks there called it for what it was. Most clickbait articles and "Mego history" youtube videos are terrible.
                Yeah I'll admit it bugs me when they write inaccuracies like listing mego made Kojak or Welcome back kotter. But you have keep in mind it's for casual fans who aren't exposed to it. Alot of people here don't like Comic book men but wear else on Cable are they showing 70's toys or vintage comic art?

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

understood that but questioned why the author thought mego collectors would be impressed by a guy casually researching something they know better than he does.

Also, filling people's heads with misinformation that is so easily researched doesn't do anybody a favour. I"ve watched stuff on yourube that I swear people are making up as they go along. They all use "authority" in their names, it's jarring. People then repeat that crap back to me all the time.

Ps I don't hate Comic Book Men or Toyhunter either, they're fine by me. They normally get it right enough.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

And no where on the list is Isis? That seems wrong.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Benjamin was quick to point out that the majority of the figures in the photos posted have reproduction pieces as well.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

With articles like this, we're right back to books like Greenberg's Guide to Super Hero Toys, which I loved as a young teen, but man that thing is FULL of inaccuracies, wrong parts, listings for figures that never existed, etc. At least the author had the good intention of making an exhaustive volume, he just didn't research enough before writing it. CBR is just looking for click-bait, so I'm less forgiving.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          With articles like this, we're right back to books like Greenberg's Guide to Super Hero Toys, which I loved as a young teen, but man that thing is FULL of inaccuracies, wrong parts, listings for figures that never existed, etc. At least the author had the good intention of making an exhaustive volume, he just didn't research enough before writing it. CBR is just looking for click-bait, so I'm less forgiving.

Chris
                          yeah, that book had the potential to be amazing as they were at John MacGonagle's house shooting for it. The guy had an amazing Captain Action and Mego collection. Yet the author crammed it with his artwork and Secret Wars/Super Powers from his own collection? I never understood that one, those toys were still lingering on shelves!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^Yes, good call. Those lines were still so new at the time. It'd be like doing a book on Star Wars toys and bypassing the Steve Sansweet pics for Force Awakens stuff. And yeah...those drawings. I hate to beat the guy up, but he tried to break down different costume types (Type 1 Cape, Type 2 Mask, etc), and he couldn't even keep those straight. The book was EXPENSIVE in 80s money too. $35 was a lot of lawn mowing for yours truly!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                              Permanent Member
                              • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              ^Yes, good call. Those lines were still so new at the time. It'd be like doing a book on Star Wars toys and bypassing the Steve Sansweet pics for Force Awakens stuff. And yeah...those drawings. I hate to beat the guy up, but he tried to break down different costume types (Type 1 Cape, Type 2 Mask, etc), and he couldn't even keep those straight. The book was EXPENSIVE in 80s money too. $35 was a lot of lawn mowing for yours truly!

Chris
                              Well Greenberg's book was Super Hero toys. It was released in 1988? It has all the main lines up until that point. It's purpose wasn't most expensive package variations of only the 60-70's. I agree on $35 being pricey, you could have bought carded Titans for that price back then.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎