• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    Music is so subjective isn't it?

Appetite was a punch in the gut for this suburban teen. So much better than the "Warrant/Poison" stuff going around, it kind of propelled me to seek out harder bands and getting me into metal/thrash/punk/rap phases. I think of it as a near perfect album.

BUT i had a diminishing return on everything afterwards, I bought them but it just didn't ever come close for me. I found the double album excessive and full of fat, I just didn't dig it at all. I've never listened to the "Spaghetti Incident" and probably never will.
    My take was, in many ways, beat for beat the same as yours...

...except that instead of the metal/thrash/punk/rap direction, I was more propelled into "classic rock & nostalgic pop/modern alt rock". Metallica's crossover success (GNR coincidentally touring with them for their Use Your Illusion Tour) cemented that "metal" wasn't really my cup of tea... and neither were the edgier punk bands.

Now, as a singer of hard rock band in Los Angeles, I've sung Dead Kennedys, Misfits songs... but never any thrash or any other metal genre ....I get that punkier bands have a more timeless appeal for some reason... but, its all pretty non-impactful to me, because: Metallica? Misfits? And simillar bands of both genres?... not really my thing overall.

Yet Motorhead and the Ramones ARE.

And, ultimately? I'm a "classic rock" guy.

As you said: Music is (indeed) so subjective, isn't it?
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• 4NDR01D
      Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
      • Jan 22, 2008

I get anniversarys and all but I think celebrating off years is strange. 25th ok, 26th??

Spagetti incident has at least one good song Brian. Their cover of Aint it Fun by the Dead Boys is actually really freaking good.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
        I get anniversarys and all but I think celebrating off years is strange. 25th ok, 26th??

Spagetti incident has at least one good song Brian. Their cover of Aint it Fun by the Dead Boys is actually really freaking good.
        Agreed, but the rest is meh

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
          Agreed, but the rest is meh
          The rest is meh!? Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'em.

"Down on the Farm", "Buick Makane", "Hair of the Dog" and the already mentioned "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory" are really nice covers.
          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Here's my picks to make one albums worth of my favorites... I know, I know.... its not the coolest mix from those albums... but, it's mine
            hughsyourillusionsfldrjpg.JPG
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, I think "The Spaghetti Incident?" has some decent covers: "Down on the Farm", "I Don't Care About You", "Ain't it Fun" (duet with Hanoi Rocks' Michael Monroe, the original Dead Boys version is amazing too!) and "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory". Actually the last one is more of a Duff McKagan solo track than anything, I think he played practically every instrument on the song (and he's a huge Johnny Thunders fan). Speaking of Duff, there is an interesting documentary about him on Netflix, and the book he wrote is a pretty good read, the guy has had quite an interesting life (not all of it in a good way!).

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I forgot about their Deadboys and UK Subs covers, yeah they were pretty good. I prefer the originals but nice nods none the less.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                  Moderation Engineer
                  • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
                  Guns N Roses was pretty good...but my go to 80s hard rock band was Van Halen...with both Roth and Hager.
                  Crossing Over is one of my favorite songs from VH - I like both singers.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 8, 2015

Arse holes didn't do a HANOI ROCKS song, because they claimed ANDY McCOY was an dick to them.

Gee, I wonder WHY?

Hanoi Rocks>Bums & Poses

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

I thought they had a good relationship with Hanoi Rocks, considering they worked with Michael Monroe, and reissued their catalogue on GNR's Uzi Suicide vanity label back then.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Even though not a huge GNR's fan I do think the guitar riff from Sweet Child is one of the best riffs in rock and roll

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎