Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting metal rods that holds toy wheels together?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Cutting metal rods that holds toy wheels together?

I'm trying to re-purpose wheels from an old toy. The wheels have the typical metal rod inserted inside it. You can't pull it out so I was thinking of cutting the rod in 2 at the middle. What should I use to cut it? After I cut the metal rod I want to do something to the edge of the rod to make it hold under the chassis of a new toy car. I'll need to either drill a hole in the rod, (it's so small I think it unlikely), or maybe I should notch it? Maybe I will only be able to squeeze it with a clamp to flatten it some? I'm not sure how strong the metal is. Any suggestions?
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Are you talking about the axel, John ?

If so, it's gotta be able to pull out (I wouldn't cut the rod) --- that would just give you more of a headache cause you're eventually going to have to pull out the rest in the end anyway.

I would find a way to hold down the wheel so it don't move and try yanking out the rod with a pair of plyers.

Maybe try putting it between something solid to hold it while yanking

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

Yeah, the axle. Why didn't I think of that, lol! I dunno, it's pretty tight.I'm afraid I might ruin the wheel if I pull it out.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

the wheel plastic? You try hot water yet to soften it up?
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

No, didn't try that.

Comment

• hobub
            Ghost of a Dead Indian
            • Jun 18, 2001

Or a hairdryer works good for softening hard plastic. The axle likely has gripped ends. For cutting the axle, you can just use a hack saw. But like T1K, I would not recommend.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎