Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I don't want to see the chain close. It's nice to walk into one on occasion and find something new. We actually had a decent experience there last weekend, despite the employee having no idea about the Star Wars campaign all over his own store.

But the problems are still there. 2 whole pegs FULL of DC Mutliverse 3.75" General Zod figures from several years back at $7 is never going to sell. Blow those things out and make room for new merchandise.

It's why Target is my favorite retail store to shop for toys. They don't mess around. They are constantly restocking and getting new stuff in and blowing old merchandise out at whatever price will move it.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Moxen
      Museum Patron
      • Nov 6, 2016

This is really sad- it's incredibly hard to find anything at retail in Canada, because there are only a fraction of retailers here that folks in the States have. For toys I have Toys R Us, Walmart and...

We briefly had Targets here, but everyone expected American style discounts. Target boldly announced on the radio that they would not offer any sort of competitive pricing as Canadians were comfortable paying higher prices. True story, I heard it myself. Needless to say, Canadians did not flock to Target and they bailed after just two years.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

we are slowly trundling down to having Amazon, Walmart and Target as our shopping choices

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          we are slowly trundling down to having Amazon, Walmart and Target as our shopping choices
          Well and other online retailers like Entertainment Earth, Big Bad Toy Store, etc. Plus you know any local indy toy stores or vintage toy stores that carry new product as well (we have 4-5 indy toy stores within about an hour drive, about double that if you include vintage toy stores that carry some new product). I'd rather support indy stores than chains anyways if possible.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

I just scanned the archives of the Museum forums and found these telling comments from the 80's, a few years early-

Originally posted by TubeSox58
            Have you been there (Child's World) lately? They have horrible customer service. Stock boy Kevin keeps spreading his cigarette reek all over they toys. The only thing worse is their selection- I went last week and the only (Atari) games they had were Mr. Do's Castle and Flag Capture.

Originally posted by StyxRulz
            Ever since they (Two Guys) dropped their lay-away program they are dead to me!

Originally posted by TehRealTeenWolf
            I worked there (Kiddie City) back in '77. Man, if I only knew then what I know now. I would've scooped up a couple Wayne Foundations! I could be pulling in $50 a piece today! Well, in all honesty, I was stoned for most of my shifts.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^HA! That was funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Teemu
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 15, 2010

Toys r us "GLORY days" were the late 70's, All of the 1980's and some of the early 1990's....and there will never be a time like the 80's toys ever again.....This generation of kids are mostly focused on gadgets and gaming.

there is talk of closing some stores after the Holiday's and possible into the next year full blown closing.....Been there and done that with Kay-Bee

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                  They have been headed downhill for a decade and a lot of it is due to the leveraged buyout that happened back then. The buyers used TRU's assets to back the purchase, and from the little I understand about the process it places a huge debt burden on the company if they don't turn around and sell it again within a certain time frame...
                  That's exactly right.

I agree that the stores are to big to support in the current retail environment. They own most of the stores and property, but carry too much merchandise that doesn't sell.
                  To me, it makes them perfect for an Amazon acquisition now, as the stores could be repurposed into Amazon shipping hubs. The bankruptcy is to stave off the creditors. If the judge helps put this in order, it could happen.

Otherwise, the only interest in some locations is for the real estate grab. Inventory will go back to the manufacturers as it's all borrowed credit, and they'll have to strike a deal with Big Lots, Amazon etc..for a mass sell off on old inventory.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Better use your gift cards quick kids.

Comment

• Godzilla
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 3, 2002

Anyone ever take their kids to one of the free Lego builds at ToysRUs? The last one we did was a Captain America plaque. Simple but pretty cool.

While I can't argue with the complaints about the companies business practices, I would be disappointed if the chain closes. One less fun place for kids in the world.
                      Mortui Vivos Docent
                      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Godzilla
                        Anyone ever take their kids to one of the free Lego builds at ToysRUs? The last one we did was a Captain America plaque. Simple but pretty cool.
                        Years ago, it was fun. I think ours was batman related?
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

We did a Lego Batman build earlier this year. It was a lot of fun.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

It wasn't Walmart, amazon or even their less than stellar management ideas that brought them down. TRU was never able to overcome the over 7 billion in debt Bain and the rest dumped on them.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Teemu
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              It wasn't Walmart, amazon or even their less than stellar management ideas that brought them down. TRU was never able to overcome the over 7 billion in debt Bain and the rest dumped on them.
                              Very true...they did the same thing to KB Toys

Comment

• Confessional
                                Maker & Whatnot
                                • Aug 8, 2012

The ripple has begun too:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎