Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

I honestly never bought to much at TRU over the years, but it's corporate America and these business suffer because of the internate and online shopping especially during the holidays. I'm curious what franchise will take the place of these stores?

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

This makes me depressed.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

This is sad. Stopping at TRU was always a nice diversion for me and the kids on shopping nights.

I knew something up last month. There was nothing new, which is highly unusual.

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
          Career Member
          • Jul 30, 2012

Doesn't surprise me. I've been to thrift stores that are better organized and cleaner. Doesn't help that they charge a king's ransom for their stuff.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Very sad to think kids won't know a dedicated toy store with all the name brands. Only the small boutique toy stores with the more "educational" bent will remain.

We honestly didn't shop there too often, due to the lack of new product and the higher prices, but it was a fun diversion. Very sad indeed, and I do feel for the thousands of people who are now out of work.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• cockyhoskins
              Career Member
              • Jan 13, 2009

Originally posted by cockyhoskins
              It's dead. It'll reorganize, close more, reorganize, close more, die, and resurface as an internet catalog company. Same as every other brand... Sears (soon), Wards, etc.
              It's been inevitable for a long time. TRU as a brand will come back in an online sense, but their brick and mortar concept has been dead for years. They just didn't realize it then and neither did the banks that kept bailing them out with debt restructuring.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Isaac Larian the CEO of MGA put in a $890 million bid to buy TRU US and Canadian stores.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Ivaniski
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  Isaac Larian the CEO of MGA put in a $890 million bid to buy TRU US and Canadian stores.
                  Yea, I just saw that today on CNN. He wants to make Toys r us a family experience akin to a mini-Disneyland. Additionally, he wants to save the iconic toy company for his grandson's generation. This is great news...I can't imagine a world without Toys r us.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

Said he wants to keep open 200 US locations and nearly all Canadian locations. That old Manhattan location would have been perfect for his concept. In fact, it was almost the prototype for it, but they closed that a few years ago. It was an experience with rides, candy and consessions.

We’ll see if he can pull it off.

- Ian

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Not happening. Toys R Us turned him down. They said they're holding out for a better offer. From whom? I mean they're closing stores and think someone else is going to bail them out?

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                        Not happening. Toys R Us turned him down. They said they're holding out for a better offer. From whom? I mean they're closing stores and think someone else is going to bail them out?
                        An example of Corporate Stupidity at its finest....
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Sounds like the Canadian stores have a buyer.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

With the Canadian stores getting a buyer Isaac Larian is now upping his offer for the US TRU stores.

Los Angeles toy mogul Isaac Larian is abandoning efforts to buy the Canadian stores of Toys R Us and instead plans to sweeten his rejected bid for more than 200 U.S. outlets of the bankrupt retailer.

Comment

• melstapler
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Aug 2, 2014

I visited two store locations this past week and the discounts were very small and different for each department. Action figures were discounted at 15%, although a shopper I spoke with was confused because they also had signs which stated that action figures were at 10%. An employee told me that the liquidation company wouldn't take over the store until May, so hopefully TRU can buy some time for a possible deal to be reached. I'd love to see as many TRU stores remain open as possible, but suspect they'd be more inclined to focus on saving the higher performing locations while closing the weaker ones.

Comment

• melstapler
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Aug 2, 2014

Originally posted by hedrap
                                This is sad. Stopping at TRU was always a nice diversion for me and the kids on shopping nights.

I knew something up last month. There was nothing new, which is highly unusual.
                                Definitely. It's always enjoyable to browse and get ideas and also to see how a particular item turned out (in person) before actually buying. Not to mention, TRU worked with toy companies to offer some fairly interesting exclusive items. After visiting 2 store locations this past week, I noticed they posted a sign which said to check back frequently as they will be receiving new shipments on a daily basis.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎