Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridge Direct's Kenner style Strawberry Shortcake dolls for 2017 found at Target

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Bridge Direct's Kenner style Strawberry Shortcake dolls for 2017 found at Target

Only two new dolls for this year. They are being found at Target on their retro endcaps.

Kenner on the left and Bridge direct on the right.

berry2017.JPG

Orange Blossom is the nicer of the two and very close to the original doll. She has a different head sculpt and shoes but still really close.

Now, Angel Cake is a bit off. The hair style is, obviously, completely different and the loops on the sides of her halo headband are much thinner. I've seen some youtube reviews of the Bridge Direct retro Strawberry Shortcake dolls saying that they are exact reproductions. They are not. Some are very close and others not as much. The main things, over all, being the lack of different shoes and all the dolls all share the same head sculpt. It was maybe a little subtle, but in the original line several dolls did have unique head sculpts.

Getting that all out of the way, I still highly recommend all the Bridge Direct retro Strawberry Shortcake dolls. The quality is excellent and at $10 a piece they are an absolute bargain. That's only a little bit more than what they cost in the 80s.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 15, '17, 6:47 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Always appreciating these particular Strawberry Shortcake updates when they come. I spend a good amount of time online and clocking classic toy properties, but don't see a lot of Strawberry Shortcake... cool to see this particular Bridge "retro/replica" line still going on. (And a shout-out to your recent MOTU thread as, up to now, I haven't posted there, and that's my most collected franchise while Shortcake may be my least!!)
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Oh, cool, I'm always happy to hear that people enjoy my Strawberry Shortcake threads.

It's probably pretty far removed from what most people collect here but it still hopefully hits that 80s toy nostalgia and brings up nice memories of that era.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I second Huedell, I like the Shortcake news.

And who else here will sympathize with my Plum Pudding fascination?
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne

And who else here will sympathize with my Plum Pudding fascination?
          A bit of hopeful Plum Puddin' news. In July Bridge Direct had a survey for 2018 classic dolls and the choices were Plum and Banana Twirl. So, there is a good chance we could get a retro Plum doll next year. Yay!
          Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 15, '17, 9:39 PM.

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

Good to know. My wife bought the last couple reissue sets Target offered. And they were on clearance to boot, so it was a good deal. I'm hoping they reissue Purple Pie-man.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎