Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters of the Universe Lords of Power prototypes.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Masters of the Universe Lords of Power prototypes.

What an amazing find! Slides of super early MOTU prototypes when the line was going to be called Lords of Power.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Lords of Power...hahaha...no one said "how about Power Lords"?

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

That was a real fun read. Thanks so much for sharing.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Fantastic. Those prototype images are fascinating.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

It's a really fun story behind it. Can you imagine being the kid getting to play with those prototypes long before the line came out?
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Great read and pics. That brightened my day.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, fascinating stuff! This line went through so many changes before becoming the toys we grew up with. From the "hero of many eras" concept to this. And that prototype Mer-Man look stuck around for a long time in mini-comics and books, despite the toy head looking really nothing like it.
              sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Geez, looking deeper into this...I love the Castle Grayskull prototype! I still say it is the greatest playset of all time, but it could have been even BETTER.

Okay, maybe the Super Powers Hall of Justice is the greatest, but Grayskull is VERY close.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  I love the Castle Grayskull prototype!
                  It is really cool. The play mat is wicked.

I imagine all that stuff was hand made and painted and the extra little details and paint aps probably didn't cost out for release.

I am glad they went with the skull head for Skeletor over the rotten zombie flesh of prototype.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you for linking this, it's wonderful to see all the variant details.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jacoblb
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 7, 2009

So cool. Love this line, it's one of the best ever. Wish I never sold my childhood toys from MOTU. The pictures in the article were great. I've the reissues Mattel offered, which, I wish they continued in favor of focusing on the Y2K launch for the new show. I liked what Mattel did with the 4 Horsemen, but I never collected any of those. Just wish they'd bring back the old again.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jacoblb
                        I've the reissues Mattel offered, which, I wish they continued in favor of focusing on the Y2K launch for the new show.
                        I also loved the commemorative line and wished they had continued it.

I do have high hopes of Super7 continuing the original line. They just revealed He-Ro and Eldor and both looked great.

Comment

• Battle Ram
                          • Sep 16, 2017

I actually found this site because Battle Ram is my blog and I saw hits coming from here. Very cool forum you have here. I look forward to learning more about Mego toys.

These "Lords of Power" prototypes really are incredible. To me this is the biggest He-Man related discovery in a long time.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Battle Ram
                            I actually found this site because Battle Ram is my blog and I saw hits coming from here.
                            Neat. You have a terrific MOTU site. So much great info on the development of the toys.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              Neat. You have a terrific MOTU site. So much great info on the development of the toys.
                              Agreed--I'm enjoying going through your blog posts.
                              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎