X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

What's Your Favorite Three Musketeers Adaptation

Wondering what's the consensus for the best/better movie version of the Three Musketeers?
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

It's weird, I've read the book but not really seen too many film adaptations.

Being a kid of the 70s I do love the Lester films. I also liked their depiction in the 90s "Man in the Iron Mask" adaptation.

Always been too afraid to see the Paul W.S. Anderson or Charlie Sheen versions.

My favourite Dumas book is "The Count of Monte Cristo" and I don't have a favourite adaptation, I've never liked one.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mego Milk
      Custom Mego Maker
      • Jun 3, 2007

YIPPEE! YAPPEE! YAHOOIEEE!!!
      Classic Hanna Barbera cartoon!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

The Lester ones are OK. I like the MGM one with Vincent Price and Gene Kelly, too.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

I really their the chocolate bar. Does that count?
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• knight errant00
            8 Inch Action Figure
            • Nov 15, 2005

As Three Musketeers movies go, I love the Salkinds' pair from the 70s.

I'm also a huge fan of The Count of Monte Cristo and I agree, none of the movies has ever gotten it right. Still, I think the Richard Chamberlain version is really good and a better adaptation than most. And although it strays too far from the book, the Jim Caviezel version is a good movie, and Caviezel is really cool as the Count.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

I'm kind of suprised mego never came out with Three Musketeers figures? they probably would have been outfitted very well along with swords like the Knights and Pirates sets, and they probably would be sought after today by collectors.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

^ I agree, would have been so easy to do with existing parts. David Lee offered nice kitbashed versions years ago.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

I'm with Mego Milk - HB Musketeers was really defining.

I'll probably check out PNGwynne's rec as I've been on a Technicolor groove for sometime.

Re: Man in Iron Mask. I just watched a few clips of the James Whale '39 version. I've never seen it. That looks promising. Interesting link in that it's Cushing's first screen role.

Monte Cristo is great.

re: Megos. Some of my favorite, early customs were HB Musketeers done by Matt Jaycox.

I hadn't seen these before. Aurora models 1958

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

The two Lester films remain my favourite adaptations... such an awesome cast in those... Christopher Lee, Charlton Heston, Michael York, Oliver Reed, etc... Stellar.
                    The 1993 version with Sheen, Sutherland, Tim Curry, etc. is also surprisingly watchable.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

^Curry's Richelieu is fun.

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

The one with Michael York!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

And don't forget the recent BBC version with Capaldi as Cardinal Richilieu... the show he left to become The Doctor.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• JediJaida
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 14, 2008

I liked the one with Gene Kelly and Vincent Price. It was nice to see them stretch their dramatic chops as it were. Vincent eould always be known for horror movies and Gene for humongous musicals in years after.
                            JediJaida

Comment

• johnnystorm
                              Hot Child in the City
                              • Jul 3, 2008

Anyone remember those 'Famous Classic Tales' cartoons that ran on Saturdays & Sundays? I think that was one of my first exposures to the story, made me go read the book.
                              Also, gotta mention Tom & Jerry as the Mouse Musketeers..." Touche, poosycat!"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎