• Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

AD for RCE TVs featuring StarTrek

Saw this courtesy of the 70s Sci-Fi art Facebook page/tumblr:

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • LardLad
    Museum Patron
    • Mar 13, 2012

Nice! I particularly like the feature - Advanced circuitry that won't go haywire!

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

A black and white version of this ad appeared in the book Inside Star Trek by Herb Solow and Robert Justman. At the time RCA owned NBC and there was research that showed Star Trek helped sell color television sets. Not significantly but enough to be noticeable.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I love that ad. Very sharply done, and the main shot of Shatner and Nimoy is great. That would make a great piece of art on some Star Trek toy packaging, above the logo!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• number 6
          Village Idiot
          • Jul 10, 2003

Seeing this reminded me that I had stumbled across a listing for one of these on eBay awhile back. Put it in my watch list and then forgot about it.

Just went back, found it and bought it. Probably paid too much but I love the art and think it's a great bit of Trek history. Thanks for the reminder!
          Last edited by number 6; Sep 14, '17, 4:52 PM.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Apologies for the typo in the thread title, I got interrupted by the dog needing to go outside and hit post before editing my typos.

I had never seen it before when it popped up on the 70s sci-fi art feed, and thought folks here would enjoy it and hopefully know more about it. Thanks for all the info you guys have provided. It's been informative and entertaining.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎