X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

‘Black Hole’ Figures

Nice vintage addition to the Mego Museum archives today an original 1979 toy trade piece about the up coming science fiction  block buster The Black Hole. While the film was mildly successful financially, the toy line simply wasn’t a hot seller for Mego and a lot of interesting items ended up cancelled or sold exclusively…

More...
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

In that picture, it looks like Hans Reinhart raided (Captain Action) Dr. Evil's wardrobe. Cool share.

Comment

• Godzilla
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 3, 2002

I remember seeing the 12 inch figures for years at Flea Markets in the 80s. They never seemed to go anywhere, but I always wanted them.
      Mortui Vivos Docent
      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Godzilla
        I remember seeing the 12 inch figures for years at Flea Markets in the 80s. They never seemed to go anywhere, but I always wanted them.
        Good news, they are still available for pretty cheap as long as you don't mind grey faces.

This is a really fun line, it's too bad we didn't get the even cooler items that only Italy got.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by cjefferys
          Good news, they are still available for pretty cheap as long as you don't mind grey faces.

This is a really fun line, it's too bad we didn't get the even cooler items that only Italy got.
          Or the figures we really wanted which was the robots from the line in 12". Those would have been awesome!
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by drquest
            Or the figures we really wanted which was the robots from the line in 12". Those would have been awesome!
            That would have been great. Italy did get one of these, the walking Vincent which was a part of the 12" line. I often wonder how the rest would have turned out. A walking BOB I'd imagine, a Humanoid would have been easy to do using existing Mego 12" bodies. Maximillian probably would have been a big injection molded robot with limited articulation. I'm really not sure how they would have handled the Sentry Robot/STAR, they used a Micronauts body as the basis for the small figures, it would have been awesome if they used the 12" Henshin Cyborg as a basis for large robot figures.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I only ever saw them once, at the Eaton's toy department in the Scarborough Town Center (the BIG mall for east end GTA kids).

It was early 1981 and I was left there with $30 some great aunt had sent me. I loved the Black Hole dearly and I thought they were amazing but I kept looking for the robots. My nine year old brain couldn't figure it out, had they sold out?

Anyway, my strongest take away from that was that I didn't want any of the 12" people. Flash forward 36 years and I still need 3.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

I never saw the large figures at retail. The only way I knew about their existence at the time was the Heroes World ad in the comics. I remember thinking "What, just humans, no robots?" and immediately lost interest. But of course I have them all now.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I only remember Penneys carrying these in my area. Would have loved and Old Bob and Vincent as a kid.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎