Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

J.J. Abrams to Replace Colin Trevorrow as Director of ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’

Disney and Lucasfilm are turning to a familiar face to take the helm of “Star Wars: Episode IX” following the exit of former director Colin Trevorrow.

J.J. Abrams, who helped reboot the franchise with “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” has landed the directing job, Variety has learned. He will also co-write the film with Chris Terrio, according to a press release on StarWars.com.
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/j-...ow-1202548094/
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

I don't know quite exactly why this makes me happy...I suppose it's because Abrams gets to bookend the series... that has to be a positive.

Not that this matters as far as the actual film, but: Wouldn't you imagine he's getting paid a LOT to return?
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Yeah...this is good news.
      sigpic

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

As long as the subtitle for Episode Nine isn't The Ewok-Gungan War, I'm good.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I loved the Force Awakens, despite it's flaws. It has all the feels, and hit the right emotional beats. It felt like Star Wars, and that's what counts.

If Abrams can get the right texture to close out this trilogy, it could be pretty great.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

So tired of J.J.Abrams...

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

And the release date has been moved from May 2019 to December 2019:

In a move that surprises no one, Lucasfilm has moved the release date of Star Wars Episode IX to December 20th, 2019. The news follows the announcement this morning that JJ Abrams is taking over the writing and directing of the final instalment of the sequel trilogy this morning. The film was originally slated to be released on May 24th, 2019 with Colin Trevorrow as director (Trevorrow was removed from the project last week).

Abrams famously insisted on a December release date for Star Wars: The Force Awakens when Disney had initially hoped for a summer 2015 release for that film. This set the trend for the release of the next two Star Wars films (with Rogue One being released in December 2016 and The Last Jedi coming up this December). It looked like Lucasfilm tried to have the films come out in May again (Episodes I-VI were released in May), with the Han Solo film and Episode IX. However, with this move, only the Han Solo appears to be coming out in May.

Star Wars Episode IX hits theaters on December 20th, 2019.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

This doesn't bother me one bit. I loved Force Awakens. Abrams gets a lot of crap, but other than Into Darkness, I've liked all of his films. And even that one has its moments.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

I'm more worried about his co-writer.

Comment

• Godzilla
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 3, 2002

He's so-so with me, but I was not a fan of Force Awakens. My interest in Star Wars is at a personal all time low and this really doesn't help.
                    Mortui Vivos Docent
                    The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Abrams bailed on two because he didn't expect being handled the way he was. I guess Kennedy backed off, which would be the release date change.

I'm tired of the Marvel formula obsession, of producers hiring a director with little influence so they can micro-manage. It works for Marvel because the projects interconnect so the directors go in knowing they're working on a smaller piece of a larger ensemble.

Star Wars, Dim Universe, DCU, Monsterverse...such a mess.

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                        I'm more worried about his co-writer.
                        I can't hear you! I can't hear you!

(Seriously though, I'm banking on Disney not being stupid enough NOT to get polishes from Kasdan on 8 & 9...or, at least the equivalent)
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎