X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

IT...was incredible.

Went to see IT yesterday to a packed theatre, and had one of the best cinematic experiences of my life.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I was actually scared several times, which hasn't happened since I was a kid...I thought I was beyond that, but that's how good IT does the job.

Skarsgaard was fantastic as Pennywise...Tim Curry has been outdone. The entire film is so off-putting right from the start. You're uncomfortable for the entire time, never knowing when or in what form IT will appear.

The kids are all phenomenal actors...I was surprised at how unrelenting the film was in it's violence towards them. IT doesn't hold anything back, and I think that's what makes it so great. Nobody is safe from IT.

Highest possible recommendation!
  • warlock664
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 15, 2009

Glad to hear! After the disappointing reviews for the cinematic adaptation of King's Dark Tower, I was afraid this one might disappoint. I'll definitely see it now, but I'll probably wait a couple weeks.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Awesome. I love a good King adaptation. Let's hope it's a return to form.

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

I really liked it, too, but it didn't scare me much at all. What I did like a lot was the atmosphere and the story. I've never read the book so everything was new to me, other than the basic concept. It's Stand By Me with a horror twist and I really enjoyed that aspect of it. I found the movie creepy rather than scary, although the opening scene is perfect and very unsettling.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

My older two kids really wanted to go, so we caught this Saturday afternoon and the theater was packed. From the beginning of the movie I was hooked. I really like these 80's kids types of shows, had a Stranger Things vibe, as well as Super8 with Stand By Me sprinkled in.

Good humor added in with a dread that carried itself through the entire film. Yeah the kids probably made some choices that no sane kids would do given the circumstances, but it still made for a fun ride.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

looking forward to seeing it. the movie crushed the box office for opening weekend, over $117 million. second place made under $10 mil

Comment

• Iron Mego
              Wake Up Heavy
              • Jan 31, 2010

Yup. It is a good 'un.
              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• warlock664
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 15, 2009

Possible *spoiler* alert:

I was relieved to read that, apparently, this was only "Part 1". I thought they'd have a tough time condensing King's massive novel into a single 2 hour 15 minute film. Anyone who's read the book or watched the early-90s miniseries on TV knows that the story is told in two periods, one when the main characters are children and the other when they're adults. I assume Part 2 will focus on the adult phase.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                  Wake Up Heavy
                  • Jan 31, 2010

From what I've heard so far, the second movie will focus on Pennywise's history (or the being that takes the form of Pennywise). It will most likely include the adult versions of the characters as well, but I think (most) people agree that that part of the story is the less interesting aspect of the book (and mini-series).
                  Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• warlock664
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 15, 2009

No argument, but the whole point of the story is that they have to face up to their fears and return home to confront "It" again after 27 years.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

saw it today. loved it but I was disappointed at how much it drifted from the book. some of the changes I get, the time period for example. but I a lot of the changes I thought were not necessary. I did love the humor inserted though. a much needed aspect in such a dark story

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

Took my Mom over the weekend and we both loved it. Only complaint was the kids swore far too much throughout the film. No need, the original didn't need this. Otherwise an amazing reboot which is not something I say often.
                        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

the swearing did not bother me. I think they were trying to modernize it. it also added a lot of needed humor. I do wish they had done more to show the bond between the kids and more of the evil and shape shifting nature of Pennywise. I also did not like that they implied Bowers was killed when Mike wash pushed into the well. he should have an important role to play in part 2 and they made it seem like he was dead. I did like the movie though and look forward to the bluray release to watch again

Comment

• J.B.
                            Guild Navigator
                            • Jun 23, 2010

Saw IT last night with some friends. Fun movie. Never read the novel or saw the Curry version, so had no idea what to expect. Really enjoyed all the mom jokes; reminded me of my youth and how my friends and I clowned on each other (no pun intended). Also enjoyed hearing The Cure's "Six Different Ways"; an obscure, but great, song that I'm shocked ended up in a movie. My wife insists that they cast Amy Adams to play Beverly in the next chapter.
                            You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎