• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Brue
    a very narrow distinction.
    Well, I'd say that a reboot is starting over and spin off as a continuation. I'm totally opposed to reboots, but a fan of continuations.

Comment

• Spyweb007
      Persistent Member
      • Apr 18, 2006

Most of the old tv shows have been redone as comedies, I'd like to see the opposite, maybe take a show that was somewhat comedic and re-do it with a more serious tone.

Comment

• silentj76
        • Aug 25, 2009

Like the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. Why mess with a classic, awesome tv series. This sounds like utter crap. Nuff Said!!!!!

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by silentj76
          Like the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. Why mess with a classic, awesome tv series. This sounds like utter crap. Nuff Said!!!!!
          Because Hollywood operates under the old saying "What have you done for me lately?" not if it ain't broke, and all those old classic series are dead IP that they want to somehow revive and generate revenue from, and the old classics have pretty much used up all the revenue streams they would create via syndication and/or DVD release, plus they have to show use on trademarks or risk losing them(or have use it or lose it clauses in the rights contracts for the properties) so they have to put out something new (either new products or new versions) using the trademarks or the properties every so often. Hollywood also focuses on the 18-35 demographic as the primary revenue generator especially for advertising and marketing, and the old classics we adore form our childhood have absolutely zero connection to that demographic in their classic form, so there is an impetus to do something new with them that they believe (whether correctly or not) is more relevant to that current demographic. Most of the folks here I am guessing are no longer in the 18-35 demographic, so their preferences and opinions are mostly irrelevant to Hollywood.

Hollywood is a business and their business is selling product to current audiences, not wallowing in nostalgia or protecting people's childhood memories. Nostalgia is only important to them when it generates revenue, once it stops doing that it's time to do something new with the IP.

I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but I understand the whys behind their doing it. Unfortunately that is the way business operates in today's market.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

The original GAH is now on Hulu. I haven't seen season 2 yet. I imagine it's a slug to sit through but maybe if I watched 3 or 4 episodes a week I'll enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎