X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Lost Dark Crystal Toys

This toy trade ad from Spring 1982 showed a rather ambitious merchandise campaign for the Dark Crystal including Hasbro (actually their subsidiary Aviva) tapped for an action figure line.

Like many Science Fiction and fantasy properties of the early 1980s, like Krull, V and the Last Star Fighter the action figures got left on the run way.

How buyers waffled on such a property yet bought Dune action figures with both hands i'll never clearly understand.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Movie always creeped me out because I knew someone who looked EXACTLY like the male puppet.

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
      Movie always creeped me out because I knew someone who looked EXACTLY like the male puppet.
      Steven Tyler?

Comment

• Bravestarr
        Museum Super Collector
        • Mar 26, 2017

I heard about this line years ago I thought they were a myth to bad they didnt get made. The film was very creepy though saw it in theaters

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Wait - Dune sold well? Only thing I bought was the black ninja spice looking dude. The rest were blech

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
            Wait - Dune sold well? Only thing I bought was the black ninja spice looking dude. The rest were blech
            "Sold well" in the fact that retail orders merited production. I believe the toy line, like the movie was a dud.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• acrovader
              Career Member
              • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by rche
              Steven Tyler?
              I always thought he looked more like the original singer from Journey.
              I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• acrovader
                Career Member
                • Jan 19, 2011

It blows my mind that they tried marketing 'Dune' to kids. Even though I strangely liked the movie when I saw it as a kid, none of the characters were particularly appealing enough to make the successful cross-over into an endearing action figure. I bet most kids that saw it didn't understand the movie and had nightmares.
                I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎