Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Grocery stores are looking like the Walking Dead now, all cleared of canned goods and drinks. The new track is really bad for the west coast and us inland folks. Well, at least I have a new U2 single to listen to while my roof blows off.
    Last edited by thunderbolt; Sep 9, '17, 4:36 AM.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

be safe everyone. thoughts and prayers that you are all kept out of harms way

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

pouring buckets here, the track now has it going right over Pinellas county, all my FLA relatives are there.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          Grocery stores are looking like the Walking Dead now, all cleared of canned goods and drinks. The new track is really bad for the west coast and us inland folks. Well, at least I have a new U2 single to listen to while my roof blows off.
          The tragedies keep continuing. :P

I lived in Cape Coral/ ft Myers, its sad that area will never be the same again.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
            The tragedies keep continuing. :P

I lived in Cape Coral/ ft Myers, its sad that area will never be the same again.
            It'll be the same again, trust me, been there done that with 3 of these in 04.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

It'll be the same again, trust me, been there done that with 3 of these in 04.
              Stay safe Joe...be thinking of ya buddy.
              sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Bat
                Stay safe Joe...be thinking of ya buddy.
                See what you 're missing?

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by JRT!
                  I have a friend in Florida,hope he's safe.

I am curious though. How come we never get things like this over here in Scandinavia? I have to admit,I love a good storm,as long as no lives are taken,but we never get them. Probably why I love it when anything happens on any of my US trips. Like a good thunderstorm or flash flood,that kinda thing.
                  The United States is a HUGE country. We have very different climate systems throughout the country. Example, there are no hurricanes in the West Coast.

Explanation:

Hurricanes do form in the Pacific Ocean, just as they do in the Atlantic, but none of these storms seem to reach the continental U.S. Why not?

I've lived in California most of my life, and have been lucky enough never to have gone through hurricanes nor tornadoes. However, California has huge geological faults, so we are earthquake prone, as I've been through many, and they are not fun either. The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake had a magnitud of 6.9, and there were 63 deaths and 3,757 injuries. We are also prone to wildfires. My city, Oakland, suffered through one in 1991, it killed 25 people and injured 150 others.

Mother Nature will make sure to hit you one way or the other.

Stay safe, guys...
                  Last edited by Hector; Sep 10, '17, 1:13 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

See what you 're missing?
                    You're right! I only dodged this Hurricane by 1 year!
                    sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

3 inches of rain so far.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                        Permanent Member
                        • Sep 15, 2014

The media does hype it up too much, just a while ago this storm was doing 185 mph sustained which is beyond insane... if it had been a direct hit anywhere in FL at those winds, the entire place would have been leveled.
                        The biggest threats with hurricanes are massive increased tornado risk, downed power lines, drenched old trees snapping and falling through your roof if you have one that overhangs and most importantly... flooding.

There is some middle ground and I wish people would find it. Every hurricane isn't Fricking Hell approaching Earth and something to completely flip over and they're also not something to just ignore like some dumb asses. There is middle ground and few people seem to be able to find it.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 29, 2007

Joe, and all Floridians... Our prayers are with you. You'll be off the hood soon. Irma was merciless with Small Antilles Islands... It wasn't with Puerto Rico... Hopefully not too bad with Florida...

Comment

• JRT!
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Sep 6, 2015

I know the US is a huge country,I've travelled all over it,lol! Greyhounding and Amtraking from New York to LA takes three days,and that's non-stop with just some rest stops here and there. I was just kinda curious as to why it's almost always the US that get these kinda things,to which I got a reply to. And my guess was right. The location I'm in and the climate and such,just makes it so I don't get to experience this kinda thing,hence the comment about loving it when the small stuff happens whenever I'm in the US. I've missed a few things by a day or two....an earthquake in LA,some snowstorms in New York,that kinda thing. Guess I'm just a disaster freak. As long as no one gets hurt of course.

That said,I have not heard from my friend in Florida yet,so just hope he's ok.

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

3 inches of rain so far.
                              Give us n update as soon as you can Joe. I realize you may not have power right now though. Take care buddy.
                              sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                                Duke of Gloat
                                • Apr 23, 2006

My family in Orlando and Ft Lauderdale are good, they don't have power but happily no major calamities. I also have an aunt and uncle that have a trailer in Clearwater, they have no idea what's going on with that, they are just happy they are safe up here right now instead of down there.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎