• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Did anyone else start school?...

The day after Labor Day?
    It seems most kids nowdays start school in the middle of August nowdays at least where I'm at now which is still strange to me.
    Labor Day was a huge deal in our old neighborhood when we were kids because for us that was the end of summer and there would be a huge community picnic (I miss those terribly nowdays)..
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Here in the Poconos our school kids always have a lot of time to make up from the last year snow days .... Kids have been in school for quite a while already .... Nice having at least 2 days off a week for snow --- until it's time to pay the piper

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

We always started late-August (like the last full week of August), but the same school district started school this year on August 10th. That's a full two weeks earlier than what it was when I was in school. They take a full week for fall and spring breaks where we were only out on a Thursday and Friday and they have snow days built in. If they don't use the snow days, they start taking Fridays off the last month of school. We never had snow days because "screw you, kid!".

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Most Virginia public schools still start the day after Labor Day. My kids go back tomorrow. And yes, it makes Labor Day this special "last hurrah of summer" holiday. We always do a picnic and a neighborhood water balloon fight.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

my kids always start after labor day. they will be starting school on Wednesday

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

When I was a kid in NY, we started after Labor Day, though not always the day after. But now here in Oakland, school has been in session for 2 weeks. And some of the charter and Catholic schools started even earlier. I might also add as a pre-school teacher, I don't get summers off. I also don't get Spring Break, Christmas Break, Thanksgiving week either, just select days within those periods.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

I hate school days, as I live next to an elementary school...and during class days, the teachers hog all the street parking...good thing we have four off street parking spots, but it's still annoying too see the street packed by cars. And the parents are horrors, when they drop and pickup their kids, they park in driveways, double park, create havoc everywhere.

I'd be a happy man if they ever close that school...and just plant a bunch of redwood trees or something.
              sigpic

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

My kids went back to school on August 18th.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

When I was a kid, we went back after Labor Day. Now, they go back to school in August, in Indiana.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• megomania
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jan 2, 2010

We started Aug 31 in a suburb of Seattle but Seattle Metro area went back yesterday and today.

-Chris

Comment

• fallensaviour
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 28, 2006

First day back today and it went great.Youngest daughter in grade 5 and my son grade 11.
                      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Iron Mego
                        Wake Up Heavy
                        • Jan 31, 2010

We always started back the day after Labor Day, but it hasn't been that way for years here.
                        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 8, 2015

Started last Tuesday at Columbia, on my ongoing NEVER ENDING quest to get my BA in Cinema Arts. Going from 6:30pm to 9:30pm Tuesdays and Wednesdays after work. so far, not so bad, then midterms!!! yikes!! :(

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎