• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Teemu
    Yeah they start selling after they go on heavy discount

Yeah, I wasn't going to buy the Wolverine set...but once it hit $39.99 I said what the Hell and picked one up.
    sigpic

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Yeah they start selling after they go on heavy discount

But If they want to make some more money again, we would have had Iron Man,Dr Doom,Dr Strange by now
      Unless you are buying direct from EMCE, they already made their money when a distributor bought it, so it doesn't matter what they retail at, EMCE already got what they would normally make on the product when they sold it to the distributor. If the distributors keep ordering from EMCE on these types of sets and production costs are less because it is variants of existing molds, etc. they remain profitable, possibly more profitable than creating new sets with higher production costs. As long as the middle men keep ordering these sets in sufficient numbers t maintain that level of profitability, they have zero financial incentive to change. And as long as the distributors can make their money back, either through discounts that bring in traffic that also order other items or through initial sales at msrp to a portion of the customer base who just have to have it as soon as it is released to keep their collection complete, or selling them to retail outlets at the normal mark up before those retailers have to clear out on discount then collectors waiting for discount prices will have zero impact on EMCE's profitability on the line. It's the same model as the comic direct market-the publishers and Diamond make their money guaranteed at set prices, its the retailer wo takes the risk and has to take the lesser profits if something doesn't sell initially and has to be sold at clearance. End customer sales don't really affect profitability of the products all that much as long as retialers order and stock them.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Teemu
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by MRP
        Unless you are buying direct from EMCE, they already made their money when a distributor bought it, so it doesn't matter what they retail at, EMCE already got what they would normally make on the product when they sold it to the distributor. If the distributors keep ordering from EMCE on these types of sets and production costs are less because it is variants of existing molds, etc. they remain profitable, possibly more profitable than creating new sets with higher production costs. As long as the middle men keep ordering these sets in sufficient numbers t maintain that level of profitability, they have zero financial incentive to change. And as long as the distributors can make their money back, either through discounts that bring in traffic that also order other items or through initial sales at msrp to a portion of the customer base who just have to have it as soon as it is released to keep their collection complete, or selling them to retail outlets at the normal mark up before those retailers have to clear out on discount then collectors waiting for discount prices will have zero impact on EMCE's profitability on the line. It's the same model as the comic direct market-the publishers and Diamond make their money guaranteed at set prices, its the retailer wo takes the risk and has to take the lesser profits if something doesn't sell initially and has to be sold at clearance. End customer sales don't really affect profitability of the products all that much as long as retialers order and stock them.

-M
        Well as of now,there is nothing to look forward to, which people and retailers lose interest and move on.

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Well as of now,there is nothing to look forward to, which people and retailers lose interest and move on.
          If the audience has moved on, then they are not likely to come back. Customer bases don't really come back all that often in the comic hobby industry, so if indeed they have moved on, the only pointless venture is to produce any new figures in the line of any kind, new characters or variations of old one . If there is a smaller market for them still, then it is more cost effective to produce variations with lower production costs so the smaller productions runs remain viable in terms of cost/margins.

So the question is-is there a market still for these types of figures that is healthy enough to support the production costs of new figures and allow the company to make enough money. If the audience has moved on, where are the customers for new figures going to come from. I grew up on the Mego format, I love the Re-Mego stylings, but the major demographic of the entertainment market is the 18-35 demographic to which the Re-Mego style is not attractive They prefer high end statues and action figures or the sculpted plastic of the modern action figure to the Mego style. If they have to produce variants of existing figures with lower production costs than all new figures to keep the line viable for future releases, isn't a good thing that they are trying to keep the line profitable so there can be new figures down the line, even if it means a wait for new figures? Or should they follow business practices that will put them under just to keep a small hardcore fanbase happy in the short term but kill the line int he long term?

These are no longer mass produced toys for the mass market. They are niche products with economy of scale working against their profitability with higher price points because of it that keep away casual or new customers. The fact there are folks out there able to keep the lines of these figures flowing at all amazes me, even if they aren't producing the stuff I want to spend my money on currently.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Some people just have to crap on every single DST/Marvel thread, no matter the content. Such a shame...

Comment

• drogge
              Career Member
              • Jul 24, 2009

There is not a lack of customer support, the Mego format will continue to endure. I am sure other sets are being worked on. I look forward to the Deadpool set. I'll admit I wish they would come a little faster but I'm going to support these sets for the long haul.

Comment

• jreinhardt
                • May 10, 2007

Doom. But I would want a doom from where he had the hide mask (Doom exiled to duplicate earth)

Iron Man, Green Goblin, Any of the villains to clash with Avengers, Hulk or Spider-Man. Wish they would do a Red Skull. That would be great! Nazi greens, Movie version and an alter ego would be sweet.

Comment

• DC_Guy
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Sep 18, 2008

I'd love a properly-scaled Hulk with a slightly smaller Grey Hulk and Bruce Banner figures, but that's a lot of re-tooling and I can't imagine they'd ever do it. Otherwise, I'd like an Iron Man set, a Hank Pym/Ant-Man/Yellowjacket set, and a Dr. Strange set.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

I'm disappointed that there's no plans to finish the original Marvel Megos.... for all that's happened with FTC good/bad, there's something to be said for them having released ALL the DC Megos.
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                      Some people just have to crap on every single DST/Marvel thread, no matter the content. Such a shame...
                      The reason people do so is understandable...there is simply no comparison between the number and variety of FTC DC releases vs. DST Marvel releases. The Marvel business model is ridiculously prohibitive and they are literally leaving money on the table. For as long as DST has been producing these sets we could've gotten what the fans REALLY want which are reissues of the entire Marvel lineup, as well as a couple DOZEN new characters by now. Instead they've produced what six or seven figures? That's pathetic compared to FTC's output. Yeah, FTC has had some quality issues and there are probably a dozen figures with big head syndrome but for crying out loud...they've given us so much it's not even funny.

I am holding out hope that FTC will eventually get the Marvel license. Somebody, somewhere with a lick of business sense will finally wake up. When they start cranking out Marvel figures on individual Kresge cards, I won't be able to get my wallet out fast enough. Til then, forget it.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 26, 2009

enyawd72, I am with You! These Marvel sets were announced April 2014 3 years ago and there have been 8 sets. I, too wish all original Marvel Megos had been reproduced so Far! $80 is high. I would pay around $50 for a Hot Toys and Mezco quality 8" single Marvel Mego without the 2 extra heads and outfits, but character specific items. Where are Iron Man and Hulk? Green Goblin? Fantastic 4? New characters including females and Villians? I know DST and EMCE can produce more sets. I bet FTC regrets passing on Mego Marvel. If Mezco can sell single Marvel and DC One:12 cloth costumed figures for $80 then FTC could make $80 sets work. So can DST and EMCE. We just need more. I would like at least 6 sets a year.
                        Last edited by ovenmitt; Sep 12, '17, 5:49 PM.

Comment

• jreinhardt
                          • May 10, 2007

I think they are playing the long game (I hope they are). With the releases. FTC has flooded a market with D.C. Characters. But marvel is trickling theirs. I hope they keep it going instead of fizzling with the great sets they have released so far. Only problem I have with the sets so far is the modern Thor suit ripped when putting it on a figure. I really just hope they keep the releases coming slow and steady so I can continue to collect them. FTC releases too many products for my budget. DST has been steadily getting my money with these releases

Comment

• ovenmitt
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 26, 2009

DST Marvel sets are dwindling down. In 2015 4 sets, 2016 3 sets, and in 2017 only Punisher so far. I think 2nd Deadpool set will be released in 2018 along with Deadpool movie sequel.

I wish DST had released as many Mego Marvel figures (singles not sets) as FTC has Mego DC figures. I like to have plenty to buy than too little.

How can DST Mego Marvel continue at this rate? 1 set a year?

Comment

• warlock664
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                              I wish DST had released as many Mego Marvel figures (singles not sets) as FTC has Mego DC figures. I like to have plenty to buy than too little.
                              What will it take to get you to understand, that just can't happen with the restrictions imposed on the license? It does no good for you to keep making the same "I wish DST had released as many figures as FTC" comment on every one of these threads when it just isn't possible.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Jan 19, 2008

Reed Richards and Dr. Doom could be released in the same set. Reed seems to have donned the Doom costume, so it could be in a Reed set.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎