X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Sunday Funday!

Today was Sunday Funday (we usually both have Sundays off, so our day trips are usually on Sundays, hence the Sunday Funday label we use for it). My wife started her vacation yesterday, and one of my dealer acquaintances (Dan of Jim & Dan's who run the quarterly con I frequently attend) was having a sale at his shop this weekend, a shop on the other side of Dayton almost to the Indiana line, which I hadn't been to before, but I had been promising him I'd make it out there at some point. It was a gorgeous day, so I loaded up some of the books I am culling to see about working a trade, and we headed out for the hour plus drive.

We made a couple other stops, including the Half Price Books and Toys R Us, and then headed out to the shop which opened at 1. We got there a little before 1, but just down the street from the shop was a barbecue restaurant (Buckeye Jake's) inside a converted 18th century house, so we stopped there for lunch and I tired their brisket, which was awesome, and Amy had their Sunday chicken special and their homemade peanut butter pie. So with a full belly we headed over to the shop. Worked out a trade for some store credit and picked up a bunch of goodies. On the way out, Dan recommended a little used bookstore that also deals in some comics in the next town over, so we hit that as well before coming home. Came back with a decent haul of stuff too...

Amy saw a battered Black Widow action figure she liked and it was cheap so we snagged it, and the first thing I pulled out of the mag box was the 80;s Black Widow OGN withthe same costume, which she decided she wanted to read, so that was her first pick up...

she also spotted the metal Doctor Strange figure and so that was part of the haul too...

First thing I spotted when I walked in was this on the wall...

The Kirby-Lee Surfer OGN I had been looking for for a while, and it was going home with me.

I was asking Dan if he ever got a copy of Wrightson's Frankenstein, if he would let me know, he said sure if he gets two, as he is wanting one for himself too, but he asked me if I had a copy of Creepshow, which I didn't and now I do...along with a copy of the Elaine Lee and Michael Kaluta Starstruk OGN published under the Epic imprint.

The main reason I wanted to get to his shop was he said he had a good selection of Savage Sword issues, and he did, but only had 1 of the 4 I needed, but he did have a copy of the Moench/Gulacy Conan OGN The Skull of Set...

rooting around the magazine bins also turned up that Black Widow OGN and the Starstruck, plus these two lovelies...

now down to 3 or 4 issues of Epic Illustrated to complete the run.

I had a few dollars in credit left, so I rooted through the dollar bins and came away with these 3 books...

the one issue of Atlas' Cougar I needed, the Atari Force Special and the Gold Key adaptation of the Black Hole. Not pictured, I also picked up the last issue of Future Quest (#12) that I had missed while recovering from surgery.

Toys R' Us was a bust (no blue Kimono Usagi figure) but between Half Price Books and Readers Delight (the little shop Dan sent me too), I picked up the following...

Books 3 and 4 of the Dune Cycle and a Six Million Dollar Man novel (which was marked $1 but the store discounts used books 15% so only cost me 85 cents), and these two trades...

Joe Kubert's Dong Xoia, Vietnam 1965 and the first volume of Kieron Gillen's Wicked & Divine.

So, all in all, Sunday Funday was a success, and a good time was had by all.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

nice haul
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Yeah - great stuff. Atari Force is on my customs to-do list

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

With my wife being on vacation this week, yesterday was a continuation of Sunday Funday: The Thursday Edition. We were headed down to Dayton to go to one of her favorite pizzerias for lunch, which is next door to one of the better comic & game shops in the Dayton area. Bell, Book & Comics and not too far from another great shop: Maverick's. I had talked to Pete Bell, owner of Bell, Book, about trading in some vintage gaming mags (Dragon and Dungeon) and some vintage gaming supplements for some store credit when I saw him at the Jim & Dan show, so armed with a few bags of old gaming stuff we made the drive down, traded in the stuff, got some cool stuff, had great pizza, and found a local bakery that was having a special on pie so she indulged and got a slice of coconut cream, a slice of Lemon Chess, and a slice of Pecan to bring home for later.

At Bell, Book, my wife and I split the credit and she splurged on some new gaming minis and a coloring book based on one of our favorite web comics, Order of the Stick...

I went to work trying to find some interesting stuff.

I knocked off two more issues of Savage Sword, leaving 2 to go to complete the series...

I did find the one issue of Heavy Metal I needed to complete 1977-1981, unfortunately it was a coverless copy, but for 50 cents I picked it up until I can find a complete copy. I also got 2 other HM issues, one from '82 one from '83 as I start chipping away at those years... I can at least read all of Steranko's Outland now.

He had some clearance trades and hardcovers going for $5 each, I picked up Hugo Pratt's Corto Maltese: The Ethiopian...

and a coffee table art book of Star Wars featuring the storyboard art for the prequel trilogy (not a big fan of the prequels, but I love storyboard art, and it was $5)

Found some classic heroes too...

a half dozen issues of the Gold Key/Whitman Buck Rogers series, all priced between 50 cents and $2...

a King Reading Library issue featuring the Phantom and Mandrake, and a pair of Flash Gordon issues for a buck each...

a pile of DC Tarzans and 1 of the 2 issues of the Marvel run I needed, all ranging form 50 cents to $4 for the 100 page giant issue

I also filled in all of the Marvel Battlestar Galactica run I needed, many featuring Walt Simonson art, all for 50 cents or a $1...

and a trio of Kamandi issues... (50 cents, $1 and $2)

I also found a copy of the Dc Science Fiction graphic novel with Marshall Rogers adapting Harlan Ellison's Demon with the Glass Hand for $3.05 (Pete likes weird price points)

and to round things out at Bell Book I picked up a 50 cent copy of the Marvel Super Special adapting Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and an issue of Alter Ego focused on the Silver & Bronze era JLA with an Alex Ross cover.

Over at Marverick's I didn't get a lot. I had picked up the first volume of Sweet Tooth out of their $5 trade box at the Jim and Dan show a few weeks ago, and they still had volumes 2-6 (i.e. the rest of the series) in their $5 trade boxes, so I snagged those...

but they didn't have any of the Savage Sword or Heavy Metal issues I was looking for. I was tempted by the McFarlane Conan action figures they had, but passed for now. They also didn't have any Micronaut toys this time around (they sold their last pieces a week ago), but he did promise to give me a heads up if any come in, so that's a plus out of the visit, as it' good to have folks looking out for stuff for you.

So not a bad haul, especially since only the Sweet Tooth volumes cost anything out of pocket.

I've got one or two more comic related trips/events this weekend (sat is the 10th anniversary sale at my LCS with several local creators doing signings and a live band performing, and Half Price Books is having their 20% off Labor Day Sale all weekend and is only a short drive form my lcs), but these will be out of pocket sprees, so much more limited.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Instant time travel...man, you took me way back...my Spidey nostalgia senses are super tingling right now...
          sigpic

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Unexpected find of the day... (maybe of the year) I may have mentioned my wife's aunt runs an estate sale business as a side business. They are having a sale next weekend on a particularly overstuffed house and were trying to clear out some big pieces of furniture to make room. We were looking for a futon or sleeper couch to make up for losing the guest room to become my wife's wardrobe/dressing room, and they had one so we were there to check it out. My aunt said I was welcome to look around if there was anything else I was interested in. I went over to the books which were all priced at $2 for hardcovers $1 for paperbacks. Among the paperbacks I found a copy of Asimov's Foundation, which I didn't have, but then among the hardcovers I found this...

It was a library copy, probably sold by our library years ago as the library stamp predates the transition of the local Warder library to a county library sometime in the 1980s, but you can see the dewey classification on the spine...

Dust jacket is in nice shape, protected by that library plastic over it they always do, a few dings on the corner here or there, but otherwise in great shape, especially for $2. I had just seen one without the dustjacket at Half Price last weekend and they were asking $50 for it, and I paid $20 for the Superman sister volume a little over a year ago at the Columbus Toy Show, so I am quite pleased with this. Now if I can ever find an affordable copy of the Batman volume, I'll be all set.

-M

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Green with envy--nice score.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                Green with envy--nice score.
                Thanks. Up until then the coolest scores I ever got from one of my aunt's estate sales was a couple of well=played Fisher Price Adventure People figures and vehicles and the handheld Mattel Electronic Football game, the same one I played to death when I was in 6th and 7th grade, so it was highly surprising to find anything like this in one of her sales.

-M

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

My wife returned from her Sunday morning grocery sojourn with a surprise for me...

The Nanometal minifigures Batcave playset that comes with exclusive Batman & Robin figs...

this will have to wait until I finish the remodel of the comic room to get opened up and set up, but it looks cool in the packaging. The Nanometal minifigs bring back a lot of memories of my early rpg days buying sets and blisters of miniatures, but these are already painted. I remember hunting down the sets for the DC Heroes game and the Marvel Heroes rpg game to get minis of my favorites.

-M

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 8, 2015

Dude, you KILLED IT! Good job

and...

I hate that term: "Sunday Funday" there is NOTHING FUN about SUnday, as You likely have to get up for WORK the next morning!!! :(

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
                      Dude, you KILLED IT! Good job

and...

I hate that term: "Sunday Funday" there is NOTHING FUN about SUnday, as You likely have to get up for WORK the next morning!!! :(

I work at a job that doesn't provide a typical weekend off and rarely have 2 days in a row off, so any day is a day that I have to get up for work the next day potentially, but I usually get Sundays off (I have to work 3 or 4 per year) and my wife is in banking so she does get them off which means Sunday is usually the one day we count on to both have off, hence it is the day we usually make fun plans together (or do house projects together and those are definitely NOT Fundays. But you have to make the days you have available Fun Days regardless of what the morning of the next day brings.

-M

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Yesterday was the Champion City Comic Con here in my hometown. I came home with a huge haul of comics, prints and commissions...

you can check out detail pics of stuff in my Imugr...https://imgur.com/a/VEijA

but a few highlights...I snagged a The Mummy movie poster for a whopping $2 in the charity auction...

a Micronauts sketch cover featuring Acroyear by Jay Fife...

who I spent almost a half hour with talking Micronauts toys and the Golden issues of Marvel's Micronauts,

and acquired one of my grails-a copy of Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein...

which also happened to have been a signed copy.

-M

Comment

• Makernaut
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2015

I scrolled through the pics at you Imgur link. That is some great stuff you picked up.

I'm a fan of The Pulps and Pulp Heroes, Conan, and Kamandi so I was really digging all of those items you got. Thought the Jack Kirby "In the Days of the Mob" was particularly interesting. Didn't know that existed so I looked it up. I may have to try to track one down.

Thanks for sharing the pics of your haul!
                          Last edited by Makernaut; Oct 30, '17, 1:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎